Another Interesting Newsletter this month from Francesca of Glimmerglass

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Another Interesting Newsletter this month from Francesca of Glimmerglass

Post by lennygoran » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:54 am

Another Interesting Newsletter this month from Francesca of Glimmerglass-it starts this way. Len

Greetings from D.C.
We are now a month into 2020, and I look to the new year and new decade with optimism. Creating great art draws out the best in us, even if the work delves into difficult subjects. Great art illuminates our resilience, inventiveness and willingness to learn from history. Great art helps humanity evolve, and this keeps me buoyant and hopeful. I am in D.C., where tonight Washington National Opera young artists will perform a 70-minute adaptation of Menotti’s The Consul on the stage of The Reach (the new extension to the Kennedy Center, designed for interactive and inventive cultural and social experiences). It stars Alexandria (Ali) Shiner as Magda Sorel, who seeks a visa to escape a totalitarian country and join her political-dissident husband across the border. (Many of you may recall Glimmerglass’ chilling production from 2009.) This is an example of a work that continues to resonate and educate 70 years after its premiere, and I am very proud that we will be bringing it to a variety of venues in D.C., including the Smithsonian Museum…and the Supreme Court!! This production is directed by Eric Einhorn, who will also be directing Così? at Glimmerglass this summer, and it’s been wonderful watching him work here in D.C. It is also a joy to work with Ali, a 2018 Glimmerglass Young Artist, who shined as Berta in The Barber of Seville. She returns to Glimmerglass this summer, starring as an immortal doe named Ada in Wagner’s Die Feen. It’s been great to work with her at both WNO and Glimmerglass, and we are extremely pleased to bring her back this season as a principal singer.

https://mailchi.mp/glimmerglass.org/fro ... f0ab156316