An incredible GRIEG bargain you might miss!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

An incredible GRIEG bargain you might miss!

Post by Lance » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:27 pm

Arrived today, a 13-CD collection of piano, orchestra, vocal and chamber works by the celebrated Norwegian composer, Edvard Grieg. I've been anxiously awaiting this and discovered it by accident.

Artists include Andsnes, Lagerspetz, Mork, Flagstad, Fischer-Dieskau, Paavo Jarvi, Barbirolli, Gerald Moore, Geoffrey Parsons, Warwick Braithwaite, Iona Brown, Truls Mork, Thibaudet, Katsaris, and many others. For some, the big find will be the three violin/piano sonatas by Grieg as performed by Yehudi Menuhin with Robert Levin, pianist. I believe the only time these sonatas came forth was in the Introvoubles/EMI set, which was very hard to find. [It is said that Menuhin was NOT in top form when these were recorded, but I enjoyed them nevertheless.] I have all the big editions of Menuhin but I don't believe these three sonatas were included in, especially, the huge 91-CD Luxury Edition LP-sized box. Best of all, 13-CDs from EMI/Erato/Warner sells for $31 which includes shipping and tax from Amazon/USA. The wait was worth it as it is shipped from England. The value because of the repertoire and particularly the performing artists on this set is remarkable. The box contains a booklet, timings, recording dates, venues and the cardboard inserts offer repertoire/track/timing on the replicated covers of the original LP or CDs.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

barney

Re: An incredible GRIEG bargain you might miss!

Post by barney » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:50 pm

Thanks, Lance. Does sound very tempting.
I don't play a lot of Grieg, I must say, but I always enjoy it when I do. Apart from piano concerto and Lyric Pieces, I like the Holberg Suite and Peer Gynt (like most of us, no doubt, that was very early in my Greig acquaintance). Apart from that I've just got a couple of CDs of songs.
What do you recommend?