New Zealand to Lose FM Classical Broadcasting

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Modernistfan

New Zealand to Lose FM Classical Broadcasting

Post by Modernistfan » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:58 pm

In what seems a senseless decision, the public radio broadcaster in New Zealand, Radio New Zealand, has decided to end all live programming and FM broadcasting of classical music, and to replace it with playout of recordings on a fully automated playlist broadcast on an AM channel in mono and on a digital stream. The previous FM channel, RNZ Concert, is to be replaced with a new platform aimed at the audience from 18 to 35 years of age (presumably broadcasting the same overcommercialized junk being broadcast by commercial stations in that country). This is an absolute outrage!

(Do any of the Australians posting on this forum have sufficient knowledge about what is going on in New Zealand to comment?)

Holden Fourth

Re: New Zealand to Lose FM Classical Broadcasting

Post by Holden Fourth » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:38 pm

This from MediaWatch

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programm ... th-service.

One statement that interested me was that receiving music in stereo would still happen because people listen at home. Almost 100% of my listening is via my car radio and I would think that there would be many others like me. I think that RNZ have rocks in their head!

Australia's public broadcaster (The ABC) has a radio station called Triple J that does appeal to a certain younger demographic and it is successful. However, in NZ there is a diverse range of commercial radio stations already in place to cater for just about every segment of the population. I know that from my last trip there as I kept retuning the radio while traveling down the North Island. Outside of the classical music station, all RNZ could offer me was endless talkback and it was all the same broadcast no matter where you were in the North Island.

barney

Post by barney » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:43 am

I signed a petition today to keep it alive. Of course it will have no effect.
The vandals are at the gates.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:24 am

Tragic loss, indeed, but I wonder, does New Zealand have cable channels similar to Music Choice here in the USA? Here, those channels are packaged with other basic cable content and offer better than FM sound quality with no announcer or commercials, just wall to wall music. In NY, we have two channels, one for more serious music (i. e. Mahler, Stravinsky, Beethoven, etc.) and the other for lighter fare. We used to have an opera channel as well, but that was discontinued for lack of interest a few years ago.

barney

Post by barney » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:37 pm

I live in Australia (past 42 years) but I bet they don't. It's a tiny population, and our cable arts coverage is virtually non-existent in Australia at 6 times the size. Used to be better. Now it's wall to wall historical Hollywood docos, andre Rieu and pop.

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:17 am

It's important to note that this is a broadcaster publicly funded by taxpayers. It doesn't have ads and is not expected to make a profit. If anyone can provide a service to try and cover the gamut of broadcasting it has to be RNZ, just like the ABC here in Oz.

barney

Post by barney » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:46 am

Holden Fourth wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:17 am
It's important to note that this is a broadcaster publicly funded by taxpayers. It doesn't have ads and is not expected to make a profit. If anyone can provide a service to try and cover the gamut of broadcasting it has to be RNZ, just like the ABC here in Oz.
Just so. A charter national broadcasters seem to have less interest in fulfilling.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:45 pm

Per a NZ friend, it appears that a petition campaign has halted for now the effort to close down the usual FM Classical broadcast. It also appears NZ had the driest January on record and water reservoirs are at disturbingly low levels.Antarctica recently recorded its all time high temp.No climate change of course, just bad luck.

barney

Post by barney » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:04 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:45 pm
Per a NZ friend, it appears that a petition campaign has halted for now the effort to close down the usual FM Classical broadcast. It also appears NZ had the driest January on record and water reservoirs are at disturbingly low levels.Antarctica recently recorded its all time high temp.No climate change of course, just bad luck.
That's the petition I signed. I saved RNZ! Well done me. :D

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:10 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:45 pm
Absolutely