Trying to find an Arthur Rubinstein quote

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Ricordanza

Trying to find an Arthur Rubinstein quote

Post by Ricordanza » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:10 am

Many years ago, I came across a quote by Arthur Rubinstein. It went something like this: "It is not necessary to understand music; music must be felt." I liked this quote because it provided a good answer to those who say that classical music is too difficult or complex to "understand."

I'm saying "something like" because I have not been able to find the source of the quote (a Rubinstein biography, autobiography or interview?) nor have I been able to pin down the exact language of the quote.

Can anyone here assist?

lennygoran

Re: Trying to find an Arthur Rubinstein quote

Post by lennygoran » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:05 am

Ricordanza wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:10 am
Many years ago, I came across a quote by Arthur Rubinstein. It went something like this: "It is not necessary to understand music; music must be felt." I liked this quote because it provided a good answer to those who say that classical music is too difficult or complex to "understand."

I'm saying "something like" because I have not been able to find the source of the quote (a Rubinstein biography, autobiography or interview?) nor have I been able to pin down the exact language of the quote.

Can anyone here assist?
Hank I'm just taking a wild stab-would this quote sort of express what you remember. Regards, Len

"My father, good or bad, mistakes or no, had a direct line from his heart to the music to the people, to the audience. He played with logic and his own inner truth. - Author: Arthur Rubinstein"

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:17 am

lennygoran wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:05 am
Hank I'm just taking a wild stab-would this quote sort of express what you remember. Regards, Len
"My father, good or bad, mistakes or no, had a direct line from his heart to the music to the people, to the audience. He played with logic and his own inner truth. - Author: Arthur Rubinstein"
Thanks, Len, but that's not it.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:02 am

Ricordanza wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:17 am
Thanks, Len, but that's not it.
Hank, yeah, I kind of figured it wouldn't be-hope you can find it. Regards, Len

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:20 am

I can only offer that there are several AR interviews posted to YT , but you'd have to listen thru all.