BAM Breaking the Waves Jun 26—30

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

BAM Breaking the Waves Jun 26—30

Post by lennygoran » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:24 am

Got this email from BAM. We saw this opera a few years ago and I thought it was pretty good. Regards, Len

“The 21st Century’s Gatecrasher of New Classical Music”
—NPR
Breaking the Waves

Jun 26—30

Missy Mazzoli recently made history when she became the first of two women composers to be commissioned by the Metropolitan Opera. We’re bringing her “dark and daring” (The New York Times) opera reimagining Lars von Trier’s Breaking the Waves to BAM this spring, performed by the Met Opera Orchestra under maestro Yannick Nézet-Séguin.

Join BAM Membership now to get advance access to tickets before they go on sale to the general public on Tuesday, February 11. You’ll get your pick of the best seats and a year of great benefits, including waived handling fees ($6.50 per ticket) at Level 2 and above.

Or join BAM Patrons for the premium Breaking the Waves experience. BAM Patrons have access to orchestra seats, enjoy pre-show drinks in the patron lounge, and receive concierge service all year long. Plus, Patrons at the Artist Circle level and above are invited to an intimate evening of cocktails and conversation with Mazzoli and Nézet-Séguin.

There are just three performances of Breaking the Waves, so we encourage you to act fast to secure your seats.

barney

Re: BAM Breaking the Waves Jun 26—30

Post by barney » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:42 am

I was very impressed by one of her pieces played by the Australian Chamber Orchestra. Alas, I am hugely unimpressed by the BAM - easily the most uncomfortable, cramped theatre I have ever encountered. So I would not be going.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:14 am

barney wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:42 am
easily the most uncomfortable, cramped theatre I have ever encountered. So I would not be going.
Barney it sure is cramped and uncomfortable-there are other Broadway play theaters that are also old and bad in those respects-BAM has some very bad sight lines too-the seats don't always slant upwards enough so you can see the stage because people in front of you block the view. We've found the seats in the top balcony have good sight lines but walking up and down the steep stairs can be scarey. Regards, Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:33 am

We saw Alicia De Larrocha there in recital, and never went back because the seats were so uncomfortable. I'm tall, and I couldn't fit comfortably in an aisle seat! :mrgreen:

barney

Post by barney » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:38 pm

There seems a lot of unanimity here! :D

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:47 am

barney wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:38 pm
There seems a lot of unanimity here! :D
Barney one disclaimer though-if it was an opera I really wanted to see and thought probably I'd never get a chance to see elsewhere I'd go to BAM. Regards, Len

barney

Post by barney » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:00 am

Fair call, Len - there speaks the true opera lover. And I have to agree.