Jean-Guihen Queyras, cellist

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Jean-Guihen Queyras, cellist

Post by Lance » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:26 am

Collecting large amounts of recorded music over the years has been exhilarating to say the least. Most long-time collectors have something representing the world's most recognized performing artists and we all have our favourites. However, discovering outstanding artists you may have heard OF but not HEARD also opens many doors to the heart and ears. Such was my discovery of Canadian-born French cellist Jean-Guihen Queyras revealed some remarkable music-making in his Harmonia Mundi catalogue of discs. My discovery of him was through listening to Alexandre Tharaud, the outstanding French pianist. The two have made some outstanding recordings together. The latest one is entitled "Complices" [Harmonia Mundi 902274, 65:03] comprised largely of encore-type material with Tharaud at the piano. A start-up piece on any recording often gives one the first glimpses of what to expect as the disc unfolds. Here, the artists start with Haydn's Divertimento in D Major from the Baryton Trio XI:113 as arranged for cello/piano by Gregor Piatigorsky. WHAT A START! I knew what to expect immediately. The cellist;s singing tone will instantly have an affect on your ears … clear, fluid, dead-pitch centered, colorful, thoughtful, and technically superior. Throughout this encore "recital" we find von Vecsey, Brahms, Kreisler, Popper, Tchaikovsky, Shchedrin, Chopin, Zimmermann, de Falla, Fauré, Poulenc and … believe-it-or-not, John Coltrane, Ralph Imbert, and Henri Dutilleux. Naturally, Tharaud is with the cellist all the way and proves to be the perfect collaborator. Fortunately, Queyras has a large catalogue of recordings such as Schubert's Arpeggione Sonata, Beethoven's complete cello sonatas, Brahms' Cello Sonatas 1/2, Haydn cello concertos, Dvorak cello concerto … and on and on. When I get this excited about a disc I have to ell my friends at CMG! •
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: Jean-Guihen Queyras, cellist

Post by maestrob » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:18 am

Wonderful, Lance! I love making discoveries like that! It gives me hope for the future of the great music we love so much, that the art form will continue to move audiences long after we're gone.

Two such discoveries I've made recently have been the young Korean violinist Bomsori Kim, in her 5 gold star album with Rafal Blechasz, and the magnificent 4-disc set of Scarlatti sonatas by the young French pianist Lucas Debargue. Both these fine artists shimmer with electric intensity and commitment to their music-making.

Thanks, Lance, always, for your enthusiasm. Jean-Guihen Queyras is now on my wantlist!

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Jean-Guihen Queyras, cellist

Post by Lance » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:45 am

Well, I think you will be hugely surprised when you hear this artist. Please let me know what you think when you get one of his recordings.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]