Comments on violinist David Garrett?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Comments on violinist David Garrett?

Post by Lance » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:25 am

David Garrett was the child prodigy who has made quite a name for himself though there appears to be some true classical aficionados not familiar with his art and recordings. DGG has issued a five-CD book-type set [479 2936] entitled David Garrett: The Early Years, The Complete Recordings. It contains two violin concertos by Mozart, the Tchaikovsky and Conus violin concertos, Paganini's 24 Caprices with Bruno Canino, pianist, Beethoven's "Spring" Violin Sonata (No. 5) and ten encore-type pieces. The conductors include Mikhail Pletnev and Claudio Abbado while the other pianists include Alexander Markovich and Itamar Golan. The photographs in the stunning book-style presentation illustrate the artist in his youth. Today, he looks considerably different and has gone off what we might call the "deep end" in what he plays and presents himself, i.e. non-classical, etc. He calls the set: "Snapshots from my history, a bridge between youth and my adulthood, and an important part of how I became who I am today." Apparently, Mr. Garrett has a substantial following, but perhaps more in that "deep end." Anyone know his work on CMG?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]