Cleveland Orchestra Joins the Own-Label Brigade

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Modernistfan

Cleveland Orchestra Joins the Own-Label Brigade

Post by Modernistfan » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:15 pm

The Cleveland Orchestra has now joined the own-label brigade with a three-CD set of orchestral music conducted by their music director Franz Welser-Möst. I do not have full details as of yet, but the composers are Beethoven, Edgard Varèse, Bernd Richard Deutsch, Prokofiev, Strauss (I presume Richard), and Johannes Maria Staud. I shall almost certainly get this when it becomes available for the Deutsch and Staud. I shall be watching for more from this source.
It is amazing how much interesting stuff is coming out on smaller labels (if you can really call Naxos a small label now) and on artists' and ensembles' own labels at a time when what remains of the majors are increasingly focused on re-re-re-re-recording the same repertoire 100 zillion times, now with artists who are increasingly chosen for their looks or "interesting" back stories rather than their virtuosity or musical insights.

maestrob

Re: Cleveland Orchestra Joins the Own-Label Brigade

Post by maestrob » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:38 am

Thanks for the alert! This is interesting to me, as I don't have, well, anything by Welser-Most in my library, except for a Carnegie Hall telecast on DVD. Please keep us updated.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:52 am

Thanks for the heads-up. Apparantly this was done in conjunction with the recent extension of FWM's contract.

The CO has issued some excellent sets of its own in the past, notably a 1993 megabox for its 75th Anniversary, plus multi-disc commemorative sets for George Szell and Christoph von Dohnanyi shortly thereafter.

barney

Post by barney » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:36 pm

It's got to be a positive development.
I've heard Welser-Most's nickname is Frankly Worse than Most, but that's probably more for the fact that it's fun than that it's true.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:04 pm

barney wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:36 pm
I've heard Welser-Most's nickname is Frankly Worse than Most, but that's probably more for the fact that it's fun than that it's true.
In my view it never was true, but instead short on wit, long on cruel, starting about 20 years ago.

barney

Post by barney » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:04 am

jserraglio wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:04 pm
barney wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:36 pm
In my view it never was true, but instead short on wit, long on cruel, starting about 20 years ago.
Oops. That's me back in my box.