Cancelled concerts due to coronavirus

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Philip M

Cancelled concerts due to coronavirus

Post by Philip M » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:21 pm

I am surprised there has been nothing re this on the forum.

Most of mainland Europe has significant concert and opera closures. Obviously everything in Italy has been cancelled. But now Munich has cancelled the opera as has Paris and Vienna and others.

Vienna affects me as I was due to go next week to hear Falstaff at the Staatsoper, Ticciati at the Musikverein and the Emerson Quartet. But Vienna has banned all indoor events with more than 100. So my trip is off. Daniel Harding, the conductor of Falstaff, found out at lunchtime today and is already back home in Paris.

I am in London tomorrow for the LPO concert with Mutter and Ticciati. Will it be my last concert for weeks/months? What is happening in USA? I know SFSO is shut.

Philip

Rach3

Re: Cancelled concerts due to coronavirus

Post by Rach3 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:45 pm

PhilipM wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:21 pm
What is happening in USA?
Trump saying he does not need to get tested (lying as usual,guarantee you he has been tested ! ), a supine CDC and GOP, tax relief proposals under consideration including for his billionaire donor shale-oil owner who called the WH this week , and a total farce of a testing regime.Small glimmer of hope where there reside intelligent State Governors, eg.Washington,New York.Otherwise. many Americans still in denial,Fox News broadcasting loonies claiming the virus is an " impeachment hoax." Dont travel to the USA !!

Philip M

Post by Philip M » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:55 pm

Don’t worry I will not be travelling to USA till there is a change at the top!

I know by the way that Cleveland Orchestra have cancelled their imminent European tour.

And it has just been announced in the UK that our Health Minister had tested positive for coronavirus. She was with Boris on Sunday. So wait for the UK top politicians to be announced as positive over the next few days....

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:44 am

Philip M wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:21 pm
I am surprised there has been nothing re this on the forum...What is happening in USA? I know SFSO is shut.
Philip Sue and I have 3 operas at the Met so we're monitoring the situation as carefully as we can-there seem to be new developments every day. I found this. Regards, Len

""For the Metropolitan Opera — which relies heavily on singers, directors and other artists who live and work around the world — the coronavirus crisis poses special challenges. The company issued new guidelines this week telling both employees and visiting artists who have recently been to a country flagged for coronavirus outbreaks by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention not to come to work at the Met for 14 days. That includes people who visited Italy, an opera capital. (On Thursday, the city asked all New Yorkers who had been to those countries to isolate themselves.)

That may mean changing flight plans or rehearsal schedules so that artists can fit in a two-week quarantine, Diane Zola, one of the Met’s assistant general managers, said in an email this week to artists’ representatives."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/06/arts ... seums.html

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:42 am

I have tickets for several upcoming concerts in Philadelphia--piano recitals sponsored by the Philadelphia Chamber Music Society and Philadelphia Orchestra concerts. As of now, all concerts are proceeding as scheduled and I plan to attend.

The following announcement appears on the Philadelphia Orchestra's website:
Your Philadelphia Orchestra understands the uncertainty many are feeling at this time. All Philadelphia Orchestra performances and activities are currently going ahead as planned.

To help you purchase tickets with confidence and increased flexibility, all ticket exchanges are free through May 2, 2020. Contact Patron Services at 215.893.1999 to request an exchange.

The Philadelphia Orchestra is committed to the health and safety of all. We are closely monitoring developments with respect to COVID-19, and are in touch with officials of the City of Philadelphia and our partners at the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:12 am

From Trump's chief advisor on the virus:

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/rush-lim ... 38863.html

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:24 am

Although Philadelphia concerts are still on (for now), the New Jersey Symphony Orchestra has decided to postpone its concerts for a period of time. These are mostly in North Jersey. Here's an excerpt from their announcement:
As prescribed by this level, the NJSO will postpone its scheduled concerts from March 19 through March 29. Plans to reschedule these concerts, if possible, will be announced at a later date.

NJSO concerts will resume once we are confident that it is safe to hold public events. The NJSO is taking preventative measures with the health and safety of our constituents in mind, and we will follow guidance provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and New Jersey Department of Health to make the most informed decision possible about when to resume our activities.

barney

Post by barney » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:58 pm

This week I went out on Tuesday and WEdnesday to two superb concerts of the five Beethoven piano concerti with the Freiburg Baroque Orchestra and fortepianist Kristian Bezuidenhout. Marvellous. The point is, both days the hall was crammed full. I saw one mask. (In Australia it seems to be an Asian thing, even before covid19.)
I turn 65 in a few months. Until then, obviously, I am in no danger, but on that day and thereafter I am in mortal peril. Or so it seems.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:35 pm

American actor Tom Hanks (not 65 yet ) and his wife are now in Australia and announced yesterday they have both tested positive for the virus.From where got it not stated, but incubation period is usually 5-9 days. I suspect they have been Down Under longer than that (?).

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:51 am

Things are changing rapidly. The Philadelphia Orchestra has now cancelled several upcoming performances:
In anticipation of the City of Philadelphia’s recommendation that all large gatherings be suspended to limit community transmission of COVID-19, all scheduled Philadelphia Orchestra rehearsals, performances, and events through March 23, 2020, are cancelled. The health and safety of all is our top priority.
My next Orchestra concert is April 4, which is outside this time frame. However, I have strong doubts that the April 4 concert will go forward.

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:52 am

The Philadelphia Chamber Music Society has cancelled all March performances:
We have been working hard to balance our mission, and the transformative, healing powers of great music-making, with our deep care and responsibility for the health and well-being of the PCMS family and community. Regretfully, the increasing risk of spreading the COVID-19 virus, coupled with President Trump’s directive to suspend European travel, make it impossible for us to continue our performances at this time. Therefore, we are canceling all Philadelphia Chamber Music Society performances this March. We will be in touch later in the month to advise about our April performances, and to see if any of our canceled concerts can be rescheduled. Options for March ticket holders can be viewed here. We are very grateful for your understanding, encouragement, and support at this time.
This means I'm going to miss at least three piano recitals: Richard Goode on March 27 and Jonathan Biss on March 19 and 30. 😢
And no Phillies games either! 😢 😢 😢

Barry

Post by Barry » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:53 pm

I had tickets for all of the Beethoven symphony programs in Philadelphia.

Oh well.

At this point, I'm pessimistic about Luisi/Tchaikovsky 5th and Sokhiev/Shostakovich 5th in late April and early May.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur ... re=related

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:26 pm

Barry wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:53 pm
I had tickets for all of the Beethoven symphony programs in Philadelphia.Oh well.
Well I have trouble too-had 3 operas for next week at the Met cancelled and also the Bdway play Lehman Trilogy-now just got word Delaware Opera is cancelling it's season-2 more operas down the drain. Len :(

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:03 am

Ricordanza wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:51 am
Things are changing rapidly. The Philadelphia Orchestra has now cancelled several upcoming performances:
In anticipation of the City of Philadelphia’s recommendation that all large gatherings be suspended to limit community transmission of COVID-19, all scheduled Philadelphia Orchestra rehearsals, performances, and events through March 23, 2020, are cancelled. The health and safety of all is our top priority.
My next Orchestra concert is April 4, which is outside this time frame. However, I have strong doubts that the April 4 concert will go forward.
The Philadelphia Orchestra has now cancelled all concerts through April 11, so as I suspected, the April 4 concert (Beethoven's First and Ninth Symphonies) is gone.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:41 pm

You'll have an easier time listing what's still going. Basically, everything is cancelled everywhere. And if you think this is bad, wait until cities go into complete lockdown. It could be avoided if people followed guidelines, but they aren't. We have only 5 cases in our city of half a million, but returning snowbirds, who are supposed to go into self-isolation, are mingling and acting as if everything is just fine. All five cases here are travellers returning from warmer climes. Each of the five will infect two or three more, who will infect two or three more, and so on.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:00 pm

slofstra wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:41 pm
And if you think this is bad, wait until cities go into complete lockdown. It could be avoided if people followed guidelines, but they aren't.
Indeed.Long lines waiting to get in jammed Irish-themed and other celebrating bars in Chicago today angered Illinois' Gov. to the point he ordered all bars and restaurants in the entire State closed starting Tuesday,except delivery and carry-out will still be permitted.Good for him.I'd wager who the snowbirds voted for in 2016.Latest data I saw reported from China indicates the mortality rate in China in the 80 and up age group is 21 % so far. You dont defeat community spread by communing until you learn it has spread.