Free streaming due to Corona

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

slofstra

Free streaming due to Corona

Post by slofstra » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:27 pm

I thought I'd make this a general thread, because of the number of free streaming services on offer due to closure of public performances.

The first is the Berlin Philharmonic, who are offering free streaming for the next month. I've been a paid subscriber for almost a decade and this service is FANTASTIC.

Here is the link.
https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/news

slofstra

Re: Free streaming due to Corona

Post by slofstra » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:29 pm

And the Met is streaming an opera each night beginning tomorrow, Monday, March 16.

Here is the link.

https://www.metopera.org/about/press-re ... s-closure/

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:46 am

Thanks for this, Henry! The MET's offer is particularly generous, but so is Berlin's. I've also become a member of the Berlin service, and their new conductor, Kirill Petrenko, is a surefire winner.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:40 am

maestrob wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:46 am
Thanks for this, Henry! The MET's offer is particularly generous, but so is Berlin's. I've also become a member of the Berlin service, and their new conductor, Kirill Petrenko, is a surefire winner.

And the archives are incredible as it's been building for a decade, and they have back filled with various Abbado and von Karajan performances as well.
It does seem that any first order talent who is active today performs with them. It's great to be able to see them all live, in HD video and sound.

I did almost give up on the service in the Adobe Flash Player days, but when I threatened to do this, they told me they were rolling their own video player with some top international software talent (not their exact words). The difference the next season was like night and day and I've never looked back.
I play the service through my stereo with a large screen TV and an Apple TV box. The Apple TV box has it in spades over the Amazon and Roku products. No, I'm not an Apple fanboy by any means. In this case, it is actually worth paying the price premium on the Apple TV box.