What does pianist Michel Dalberto do for you?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

What does pianist Michel Dalberto do for you?

Post by Lance » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:26 pm

When a pianist, such as Michel Dalberto (b. 1955) won the Clara Haskil Competition some years ago, seems to me he would have to be a fine pianist. I discovered that he was! I recently acquired Erato's new 17-CD set of the artist [56120] of all his Erato, EMI, and Virgin recordings. It covers a lot of material including Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms, Liszt (the 12 Etudes d'execution transcendante) in a previously unreleased recording, Fauré, Bach keyboard concerti, Mozart's 18 and 25 piano concertos, Schumann, and several chamber and song recitals. Collaborative artists include Barbara Hendricks, Jessye Norman, Nathalie Stutzman, Renaud and Gautier Capucon, Emanuel Pahud and several others including Paillard as conductor, Armin Joran, Wallez, etc. It is a very well put-together collection with original LP covers and a very interesting booklet with notes by Dalberto, and another excellent article. He was a pianist who made his recorded reputation for the Erato label (now owned by Warner), and also recorded Denon, RCA, and some other labels. The broadness of his choice of repertoire sets him aside from the usual fare we hear from French pianists and he succeeds with aplomb, at least in MHO. Wondering what others have to say about this pianist, who seems to be generally underrated.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: What does pianist Michel Dalberto do for you?

Post by maestrob » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:52 am

Don't know him, Lance, but thanks for the alert! :D

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:38 pm

I have heard only a couple live broadcasts,and perhaps a YT or two.Decided not to follow him. But, as my wife and sons frequently point out, I am often wrong ( or so they say).

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:21 pm

Understand your hesitating to latch on to another artist - especially if you have huge record/CD collections already with multiple copies of all the great works. However, then you make discoveries of artists' work you may not know and suddenly get the urge to acquire some things. CD collecting turns out to be an addiction to music, but it is better than being addicted to drugs, booze, etc.! In the case of Dalberto, he's been around on discs for sometime, mostly known I suppose in France, so suddenly I got the "bug". I had a half dozen or so of his CDs, but this 17-CD set came along and I fell for it. The same thing happened to me with regard to Simon Terpceski, Alexandre Tharaud, Mark Viner, Marcel Worms, and Andrew Wright, all of whom have proved to be incredible pianists. Then it was a matter of trying to get everything they recorded. I am working on the presentation of radio programs for Andrew Wright, Marcel Worms and Mark Viner in forthcoming broadcasts and Michel Dalberto. I realize we can't have everything, but there is no harm in expanding this "addiction!" It all boils down to knowing what to pick and choose. •
Rach3 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:38 pm
I have heard only a couple live broadcasts, and perhaps a YT or two.Decided not to follow him. But, as my wife and sons frequently point out, I am often wrong ( or so they say).
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Philip M

Post by Philip M » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:58 pm

There is a broadcast of Dalberto on France Musique on Monday at 6pm GMT

https://www.francemusique.fr/emissions/ ... lyon-82759