The extraordinary Richter

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Philip M

The extraordinary Richter

Post by Philip M » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:22 pm

Whilst you stay safe at home, set aside a couple of hours to enjoy this extraordinary all Schubert recital that Sviatoslav Richter gave at The Maltings in Snape (near Aldeburgh).

https://youtu.be/pJAMZEt8FmY

It was given on 27 September 1977. And I was there!

But there’s an extra story to this recital, which was bring broadcast live on BBC Radio 3. It was also recorded for Japanese television (the source of the YouTube). As you will see, he was playing a Yamaha, his favoured instrument at the time.

The audience was in place and the clock turned to the scheduled start time of 7.30. And then to 7.35. No Richter. Time passed - and passed. We all wondered what the problem was. Just before 8, a Japanese gentleman came on to the platform, went to the piano, then went off again. Still no Richter. Then, at 8.10 he came back on to the stage, bringing on a part of the piano. Eventually at 8.15 Richter appeared.

What had happened was that Richter had decided to play from music. So they had to put the music stand back on to the piano. The only problem was that it had been put in the Yamaha truck, which was locked - and no-one could find the driver!

A reminder - it was being broadcast live on the radio. Imagine what the poor announcer had to go through, talking about the little D566 Sonata for 45’!

Enjoy the typically wonderful Richter Schubert. And for an encore what did Slava give us? A repeat of the finale of the D894 Sonata that he’d just played. Extraordinary.

Was it really 43 years ago?! I remember it vividly.

Philip

maestrob

Re: The extraordinary Richter

Post by maestrob » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:31 am

Thank you very much for this, Philip! Rchter's Schubert has been a mainstay of my listening since nearly forever. It must be a real treat for you to find this on youtube. Certainly, this concert should be issued on DVD. Quite a story!

barney

Post by barney » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:14 pm

Yes, thank you Philip. I will listen today.
Schubert is definitely in my big 5 composers, maybe my big 3.

barney

Post by barney » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:02 pm

I think this is quite magnificent, Philip. Richter plays with the deepest spirituality, it is almost music as an act of worship. It also reminds us of how many ways there are to interpret music.
Thanks again.

Philip M

Post by Philip M » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:26 am

Yes it was a very special evening.