Tchaikovsky: Piano Sonata #2, Op. 37(Grand Sonata)

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Tchaikovsky: Piano Sonata #2, Op. 37(Grand Sonata)

Post by Lance » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:21 pm

By any standards, Tchaikovsky's Piano Sonata No. 2 in G Major, Op. 37 ("Grande Sonata") is a major work that doesn't seem to fare well in live piano concert programs. It is, for one thing, a marathon piece of music for any pianist. I have enjoyed, over the years, that sonata with, first with Barry Douglas on RCA (I had the pleasure of preparing his piano for a concert), Michael Ponti, Richter, Viktoria Postnikova, Mikhail Pletnev, Alexander Ghindin, Leo Sirota, and a few others. I must say, it was Barry Douglas' recording for RCA that made the first great impression on me (he also recorded it for Chandos) and it isn't just technique; the piece has a lot to offer emotionally. After him, the Russians also faired very well. One must have some "chops" to bring this piece off. However, recently, I was overwhelmed with that of Nikolai Lugansky as he recorded it not long ago for the Naïve label [215]. The ease of his playing, the runs, the power, the sheer beauty of the piece … Lugansky is an exceptional pianist. In contrast, the disc also has Tchaikovsky's The Seasons (12 characteristic pieces), Op. 37b, which offers quite a contrast to the Grande Sonata and illustrates his complete control of the keyboard even in the quietest passages. My Lugansky collection is growing exponentially. HIGHLY recommended.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Philip M

Re: Tchaikovsky: Piano Sonata #2, Op. 37(Grand Sonata)

Post by Philip M » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:26 am

For me Richter is supreme in this sonata.

I have only heard it live once - Freddy Kempf in 2016.

Philip

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:05 pm

Philip M wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:26 am
For me Richter is supreme in this sonata.

I have only heard it live once - Freddy Kempf in 2016.

Philip
Agreed. Once upon a time, I had a Phillips LP with the Tchaikovsky on side one and Stravinsky's rarely recorded early sonata on the other. Unfortunately, I was never able to replace it with a CD, and the pianist's name is lost in the mist of time. :oops:

In the meantime, I'll have to content myself with this:

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:06 am

Well, if you have a chance to hear Lugansky play this, don't miss it! He has amassed quite a discography thus far.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:54 am

Lance wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:06 am
Well, if you have a chance to hear Lugansky play this, don't miss it! He has amassed quite a discography thus far.
Lance, I would love to hear Lugansky, but I cannot find the disc you mention either on amazon or Presto Classical, my two regular shopping sources. I did hear Barry Douglas on amazon yesterday (Chandos) and he's very good, but I still prefer Richter. That said, I do admire Lugansky very much and would love to hear his new recording if I can find it! :D