Cellist Lynn Harrell Has Died, Age 76

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Cellist Lynn Harrell Has Died, Age 76

Post by Lance » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:58 pm

Very sorry to hear this. Thankfully, I have many of his recordings. Will offer a radio tribute to him soon.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri May 01, 2020 10:10 am

RIP. I have his recording of the Rachmaninoff Cello Sonata with Ashkenzy, and Elgar Cello Concerto with Maazel, both very fine.

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Sat May 02, 2020 10:08 am

I learned of his passing in a newsletter from Presto Classical.

I saw him in recital in Chicago in the late 1980s. He was very engaging, loved to talk with the audience, introduced his accompanist, Brooks Smith, as a friend of the family who had also accompanied his father, obviously loved to play and finished his recital with seven or eight encores.

His recording of J.S. Bach's 6 Cello Suites remains a favorite of mine, with the 6th Suite being one of the most moving performances of that work I have ever heard. He made many fine duo and trio recordings with Vladimir Ashkenazy and Itzhak Perlman. I also enjoy his earliest recordings made with James Levine which include his first Beethoven Cello Sonata cycle.

John

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sat May 02, 2020 12:55 pm

CharmNewton wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:08 am
... introduced his accompanist, Brooks Smith, as a friend of the family who had also accompanied his father...
The Brooks Smith who also accompanied Heifetz earlier ?

barney

Post by barney » Sat May 02, 2020 5:53 pm

I first met him (sonically, not in person) with a pair of Boccherini quintets on LP that I loved. He is good in the Brahms sonatas with Ashkenazy, the Bruch Kol Nidre, Mendelssohn and Debussy. I also have him in various chamber works - trios etc.
A really fine cellist. I'm not surprised to hear he seems to have been a lovely man as well.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun May 03, 2020 11:06 am

Don't have much by Lynn Harrell in my collection (my loss), but these two are both excellent discs:

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Sun May 03, 2020 12:53 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:55 pm
CharmNewton wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:08 am
... introduced his accompanist, Brooks Smith, as a friend of the family who had also accompanied his father...
The Brooks Smith who also accompanied Heifetz earlier ?
Yes.

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Mon May 04, 2020 9:37 pm

barney wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 5:53 pm
I first met him (sonically, not in person) with a pair of Boccherini quintets on LP that I loved.
That recording is very possibly his first, from the early 1960s during his time at Juilliard. David Soyer, an outstanding cellist, and Michael Tree became lifelong members of the Guarneri Quartet.

John

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon May 04, 2020 10:39 pm

Right you are, John … the Guarneri Quartet was in residence at Binghamton State University (SUNY) for a long time, I knew them all well, tuned their pianos in their homes. The quartet also consisted of Arnold Steinhardt and John Dalley. It was during that time that they were making their incredible RCA recordings including those with Artur Rubinstein. This was THE quartet of note at the time and I saw them in countless chamber concerts. Very warm memories - and they were all wonderful people. Later, I worked closely with the Lenox Quartet and knew them all very well, too. I miss both of ensembles.
CharmNewton wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:37 pm
barney wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 5:53 pm
I first met him (sonically, not in person) with a pair of Boccherini quintets on LP that I loved.
That recording is very possibly his first, from the early 1960s during his time at Juilliard. David Soyer, an outstanding cellist, and Michael Tree became lifelong members of the Guarneri Quartet.

John
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]