Met On Demand La Forza

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Met On Demand La Forza

Post by lennygoran » Fri May 08, 2020 8:19 pm

We've been busy in the garden lately and neglecting opera but today was a terrible weather day-there could be some snow and a frost tonight-we decided to take advantage of the Met On Demand we're getting for free because we subscribed to next season and chose the one with Price over the one with Domingo-those were the only 2 choices--she was just superb and the rest of the cast delivered for us-the Dexter production held up very well! Len

La Forza del Destino {210} Matinee ed. Metropolitan Opera House: 03/24/1984., Broadcast / Telecast

(Broadcast / Telecast)

Metropolitan Opera House
March 24, 1984 Matinee, Broadcast / Telecast

LA FORZA DEL DESTINO {210}
Giuseppe Verdi--Francesco Maria Piave

Leonora.................Leontyne Price
Don Alvaro..............Giuseppe Giacomini
Don Carlo...............Leo Nucci
Padre Guardiano.........Bonaldo Giaiotti
Preziosilla.............Isola Jones
Fra Melitone............Enrico Fissore [Last performance]
Marquis de Calatrava....Richard Vernon
Curra...................Diane Kesling
Mayor...................James Courtney
Trabuco.................Anthony Laciura
Surgeon.................John Darrenkamp

Conductor...............James Levine

Production..............John Dexter
Set designer............Eugene Berman
Costume designer........Peter J. Hall
Choreographer...........Donald Mahler
TV Director.............Kirk Browning

OR

[Met Performance] CID:323600
La Forza del Destino {214} Metropolitan Opera House: 03/12/1996., Broadcast / Telecast

(Broadcast / Telecast)

Metropolitan Opera House
March 12, 1996 Broadcast / Telecast

LA FORZA DEL DESTINO {214}
Giuseppe Verdi--Francesco Maria Piave

Leonora.................Sharon Sweet
Don Alvaro..............Plácido Domingo
Don Carlo...............Vladimir Chernov
Padre Guardiano.........Roberto Scandiuzzi
Preziosilla.............Gloria Scalchi
Fra Melitone............Bruno Pola
Marquis de Calatrava....Hao Jiang Tian
Curra...................Jane Shaulis
Mayor...................James Courtney
Trabuco.................Michel Sénéchal
Surgeon.................Christopher Schaldenbrand

Production..............Giancarlo Del Monaco
Designer................Michael Scott
Lighting designer.......Gil Wechsler
Choreographer...........Maria Benitez
TV Director.............Brian Large

maestrob

Re: Met On Demand La Forza

Post by maestrob » Sat May 09, 2020 12:06 pm

Hi, Len!

I sang Nabucco with La Selva in Central Park in 1979: Isola Jones was the excellent Fenena. This was, I believe, before she was engaged by the MET. That was the year I began studying Dan Merriman's vocal technique. I still didn't have my top notes (above Eb), so I sang in the chorus, naturally.

I don't blame you for skipping Sharon Sweet. I never thought much of her as a singer. She used to send me some of her better students for my competition after she retired from the MET, none of them made it out of the semi-finals. Rumor had it that she was part of a package deal with Pavarotti: how true that is, I don't know.

Price was a glorious Leonora, none better. Forza was written to debut in St. Petersburg, of all places, and their orchestra tuned quite low, so Verdi wrote the entire opera 1/2 step higher on paper to make up for that. The top notes for baritone are B natural instead of Bb, and E natural instead of Eb, for example. The same holds true for the other roles, which is why only the best voices can tackle this music and, in spite of its quality, this great work is not presented as often as Verdi's other best operas.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun May 10, 2020 6:40 am

maestrob wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:06 pm
Isola Jones was the excellent Fenena. ...I don't blame you for skipping Sharon Sweet. ...Price was a glorious Leonora, none better....The same holds true for the other roles, which is why only the best voices can tackle this music and, in spite of its quality, this great work is not presented as often as Verdi's other best operas.
Brian thanks for all the info-Domingo was always a favorite of mine but the On Demand was either seeing him or seeing Price-Price was just sensational-so despite loving Domingo I think we made the better choice--the Dexter production was just fine-Giuseppe Giacomini btw was very good-he sang well and looked and acted the part beautifully-Isola Jones put on an exciting show for us too. And nice to see a young Nucci! Bonaldo Giaiotti as Padre Guardiano sang beautifully and played the role with impeccable dignity.

I want to say a little more about Giacomini-we heard him live a few times and I found him wonderful-I wanted to learn more about him and wiki's article says this:
"Despite his enormous career and truly extraordinary voice, Giacomini never achieved widespread fame in the opera world. Though he was rumored to have retired in 2000, he has continued to make concert appearances around the world and appeared effectively as Cavaradossi in Tosca at the Royal Opera, Covent Garden when past his 60th birthday." Regards, Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun May 10, 2020 10:31 am

IIRC that 1984 performance was Price's farewell to the MET. I have to confirm that, but it just occurred to me.

barney

Post by barney » Sun May 10, 2020 5:54 pm

This is the mid-late Verdi opera I know least well. Not quite sure why. I've seen Otello, Falstaff, Masked Ball, Traviata, Rigoletto, Aida, Don Carlos and Simon Boccanegra many times each; Nabucco, Il trovatore a few, even Il Corsaro, Macbeth and Luisa Miller, but never Forza del destino. That is purely because no Australian company has staged it.

I have 4 versions on CD - Sinopoli, Gergiev, Molinari-Pradelli, and Serafin, which is by far the fewest I have of the great Verdi operas.

Brian, Len (and anyone else), do you know any of those versions, and how do you rate the opera?

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun May 10, 2020 7:55 pm

maestrob wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:31 am
IIRC that 1984 performance was Price's farewell to the MET. I have to confirm that, but it just occurred to me.
Brian I think it was an Aida-Sue and I were there for one of those-it was electrying! Regards, Len

[Met Performance] CID:279110
Aida {899} Metropolitan Opera House: 01/3/1985., Broadcast / Telecast

(Broadcast / Telecast)

Metropolitan Opera House
January 3, 1985 Broadcast / Telecast

AIDA {899}
Giuseppe Verdi--Antonio Ghislanzoni

Aida....................Leontyne Price [Last performance]
Radamès.................James McCracken
Amneris.................Fiorenza Cossotto
Amonasro................Simon Estes
Ramfis..................John Macurdy
King....................Dimitri Kavrakos
Messenger...............Robert Nagy
Priestess...............Therese Brandson
Dancers: Sam Cardea, Joseph Carman, Gary Cordial, Ricardo Costa, Kimberly Graves,
Naomi Marritt, Virgil Pearson-Smith, Ellen Rievman, Christopher Stocker, Fredrick Wodin

Production..............John Dexter
Staging Director........Bruce Donnell
Set designer............David Reppa
Costume designer........Peter J. Hall
Costume designer........Lawrence Casey*
Lighting designer.......Gil Wechsler
Choreographer...........Louis Johnson
TV Director.............Brian Large

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon May 11, 2020 10:43 am

Yes, of course! Now that you mention it, I remember it. I recorded the performance on videotape, but of course it's long gone!