New Yorker Magazine interviews pianist Igor Levit

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

New Yorker Magazine interviews pianist Igor Levit

Post by Rach3 » Mon May 11, 2020 5:54 pm

The pianist and his World post-coronavirus; highly recommended reading :

https://tinyurl.com/ybhzlj64

Rach3

Re: New Yorker Magazine interviews pianist Igor Levit

Post by Rach3 » Mon May 11, 2020 7:13 pm

https://www.pscp.tv/igorpianist/1vAxRBrmXdRxl

Click on video at left , then un-mute lower right.

Most recent ( 7 days ago ) , English at about 8:29 in, Beethoven at about 16:00.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue May 12, 2020 9:19 am

Sound not good, but of course he did not have to make the effort, 20 times, to play for anyone at all.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed May 13, 2020 11:59 am

Brilliant profile, Rach3. Levit is quite a character, and full of surprises. Who knew that he had been interested in rap music? Yet Bernstein was equally at home with the popular music of his day, and was quite active politically as well. Levit is fast becoming a hero of mine, and I have deep respect for his playing, although I freely admit that the Rzweski piece is quite above my pay grade! :lol:

Thanks for posting.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Tue May 19, 2020 4:38 pm

I've been a fan since the release of his first album. I have also heard many of his broadcast concert performances. But did not know till now that'll Levit had incurred the ire of the far-right in Germany—before a performance of the Brahms D-minor piano concerto, Levit described to Ross several death threats he had recently received.
I went to my seat in the hall while Levit put on his concert dress. Thirty minutes later, he was launching into the Brahms. I felt an unease I had never experienced before in a concert hall. Looking around, I wondered whether an attack was actually possible, and whether Levit’s performance had acquired some extra edge of anger and defiance. It was difficult to say, since the first movement of the D-Minor Concerto is angry and defiant from the start.

barney

Post by barney » Wed May 20, 2020 3:21 am

He certainly gets around, Alex Ross. How nice it would be to decide to cross continents to hear a concert. I presume he doesn't pay for travel, hotel or tickets. But I don't mean this to come across as envious, because he is very good at what he does and enriches our musical lives. This article is a great example.
Thanks for posting.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun May 24, 2020 2:27 pm

Levit has now created an encore monster for himself ; like THE Prelude for Rachmaninoff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo