Isserlis plays the Elgar concerto live

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Isserlis plays the Elgar concerto live

Post by Rach3 » Fri May 15, 2020 7:49 pm

I had never heard Steven Isserlis play the Elgar.Not surprisingly, indulgent but excellent , as was the rest of the programme,including Rachmaninoff’s supreme achievement “Dances” ( I dont connect with “Vespers” ). In Mussorgsky’s “Pictures” , I prefer the solo piano version, not Ravel’s ( as I believe did Richter ), but not “Dances” 2-piano version.

First broadcast live from the Royal Festival Hall, London, in April 2018.

Britten: Four Sea Interludes from Peter Grimes
Elgar: Cello Concerto

Interval Music: Vladimir Ashkenazy, a former Principal Conductor of the RPO, plays Rachmaninov's piano Variations on a Theme of Corelli Op. 42.

Rachmaninov: Symphonic Dances

Steven Isserlis, cello
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
Thomas Dausgaard conductor

Followed by Bartok's String Quartet No. 5 played by the Calidore Quartet in a performance recorded when they were members of Radio 3's prestigious New Generation Artist scheme.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000j3hw

maestrob

Re: Isserlis plays the Elgar concerto live

Post by maestrob » Sat May 16, 2020 1:31 pm

Thomas Dausgaard is a distinguished conductor who has made lots of good recordings., some of rather rare and interesting repertoire This concert is typical of his output, accurate, faithful to the score (except for one fatal mistake in the Rachmaninoff: The final blow to the tam-tam is meant to be cut short (as Ormandy and Zinman for example do in their recordings), but not very inspirational. At least he gets his tempi right! Isserlis in the Elgar Concerto is quite good also. Overall, I'd give this 3 1/2-4 stars.

Thanks for posting! :)