Backhaus Box

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Backhaus Box

Post by maestrob » Fri May 22, 2020 8:06 am

Just received notice about this last night: It's about time! Released on the 50th anniversary of Backhaus's death, this superb 39 disc box features both sets of his Beethoven Sonatas (mono & Stereo), as well as a Carnegie Hall recital from 1954 and his final recital played just weeks before he died. In between we have the complete Decca transfers of everything he recorded for that label. A must-have: my 70th birthday is coming up on Sunday: This fits the bill! Thank you Decca for finally giving this forgotten pianist his due in remastered sound! Any other takers?

Rach3

Re: Bakhaus Box

Post by Rach3 » Fri May 22, 2020 11:03 am

You may have, but if not, get also the 2-cd set (Decca?) of his complete acoustic recordings 1908-1925, many works he never recorded after 1925.

maestrob

Re: Backhaus Box

Post by maestrob » Fri May 22, 2020 11:51 am

Rach3 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:03 am
You may have, but if not, get also the 2-cd set (Decca?) of his complete acoustic recordings 1908-1925, many works he never recorded after 1925.
I may have read it wrong, but I believe those are included in this box. Backhaus was born early enough to have heard Brahms conduct Eugene D'Albert in the two piano concertos, and at age 14 he began to study with D'Albert. A remarkable talent, with such a deep, direct connection to the music he played.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri May 22, 2020 2:05 pm

maestrob wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:51 am
Backhaus was born early enough to have heard Brahms conduct Eugene D'Albert in the two piano concertos, and at age 14 he began to study with D'Albert.
Other comments about D'Albert:

"I shall never forget the titanic force of his rendition of Beethoven's Emperor. I am almost tempted to say he did not play it, he personified it.In his intimate contact with his instrument, he appeared to me like a new centaur,half piano,half man." Bruno Walter,1946.

Even more telling? : "I heard the complete Ring cycle (in Frankfurt, 1901) for the first time with lasting impression.Nevertheless, an Opera House concert with Beethoven's Emperor played in the fashion of a master by Eugen d"Albert remains a stronger memory." Otto Klemperer,1960.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat May 23, 2020 1:04 pm

Ah ... so much Backhaus! A great pianist for sure. I have the preponderance of his Decca recordings, including reissues from Japan-Italy Decca, and some 60 off-label recordings. However, this would be a wonderful acquisition to have everything in one box as I'm sure there are some surprises therein that were not previously issued by the Decca people. APR has also iissued a number of items, Dante, Ermitage, Biddulph, Andante, Orfeo, Pearl, Archipel, Piano Library, and many others. So, the man has been well represented on CDs. Naturally, there is duplication among them all. Still, a must-have for piano aficionados.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sat May 23, 2020 3:24 pm

maestrob wrote:
I may have read it wrong, but I believe those are included in this box.
Hope so.Per the liner notes, the acoustic recordings on the Pearl cd set from 1908-1925 were on the labels Victor, Schallplatte Gramophone,and HMV. Dont know if these rights were also acquired by Decca ?

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun May 24, 2020 8:14 am

Rach3 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:24 pm
maestrob wrote:
I may have read it wrong, but I believe those are included in this box.
Hope so.Per the liner notes, the acoustic recordings on the Pearl cd set from 1908-1925 were on the labels Victor, Schallplatte Gramophone,and HMV. Dont know if these rights were also acquired by Decca ?
Well, I checked, and indeed I read it wrong. From 1908-1948 Backhaus was on HMV, then he switched to Decca in 1950 for his first set of Beethoven Sonatas. It is the Decca recordings that are included in this box. I do wish that Warner would issue a similar box with all of the excellent recordings at their disposal. Now is the time! :!:

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri May 29, 2020 10:37 pm

Well, the Backhaus box has arrived, and it is a beauty! It is all you would expect and remains one of Decca's best boxes of the many they have produced. The booklet has one of the finest articles I have ever read on the pianist - by Jonathan Summers.

All we need now is to have the HMV/EMI/Warner recordings made by the pianist to be issued in a complete set. Pearl issued the early material on their label, 0046 and 0102 and those recordings are a very different (but wonderful) showcase of Backhaus's earliest art.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:31 pm

I have this set as well. I've admired Backhaus since hearing some of his early electrical recordings issued on LPs by Music & Arts in the mid 1970s. Critical opinion of Backhaus around the time he died was that he mechanical and a bit cold. It didn't sound like that to me. Backhaus plays with clarity, both melodically and harmonically. I can hear the notes in his chords and they aren't tonally ugly or just percussively smacked but rounded and full. Beautiful tone wedded to a lyric gift. And he can get impetuous at times as well. He's part of quite a generation which included Cortot, Hambourg, Hofmann, Schnabel, Petri, Landowska and Rubinstein just to recount the names of a few (and perhaps spur some comparative listening).
Lance wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:37 pm

All we need now is to have the HMV/EMI/Warner recordings made by the pianist to be issued in a complete set. Pearl issued the early material on their label, 0046 and 0102 and those recordings are a very different (but wonderful) showcase of Backhaus's earliest art.
APR has reissued 2 two CD sets so far of recordings from 1925-1937. The first contains the complete pre-WWII Beethoven recordings (concerti (4 & 5) and several Beethoven sonatas) that were once issued by Biddulph. The second album, includes the Chopin Etudes, Shumann's Fantasy in C major and a number of short pieces, including his own arrangement of a Serenade from Don Giovanni all transferred by Mark Obert-Thorn. The notes for this second volume state that Vladimir Horowitz was also an admirer of Backhaus.

Besides Warner, Backhaus also made recordings for Victor during his tour of the U.S. in 1908.

John

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:22 pm

CharmNewton wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:31 pm
Besides Warner, Backhaus also made recordings for Victor during his tour of the U.S. in 1908.
Yes,I believe the ones on the Pearl 2-cd set of his 1908-1925 acoustics.