Pianist Antonio Pompa-Baldi live

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Pianist Antonio Pompa-Baldi live

Post by Rach3 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:45 pm

Antonio Pompa-Baldi, piano.

Had not heard him for quite some time, interesting programme,Hummel always a treat, one of my fav Liszt works, not heard the Grieg in piano version ( the orchestral is better ), nor ever the Piana work. Rubinstein used to play the Poulenc.Marvelous,spontaneous playing here:

Enregistré le 12/01/2019 à la Broadcasting House de Brême

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_concert?id=2641900

Johann Nepomuk Hummel : Sonate No. 2 en Mi bémol Majeur, op. 13

Franz Liszt : Ballade No. 2 en Si bémol Majeur, S. 171

Edvard Grieg : Suite Holberg , op. 40

Roberto Piana - Fantaisie sur des chants napolitains

Francis Poulenc : Napoli, FP 40 - Les Chemins de l'amour

Astor Piazzolla : Oblivion (bis)

Edvard Grieg : Nocturne en Do Majeur extrait de la Suite lyrique, op. 54/4 (bis)

A bio from Cleveland Institute of Music,where he is a faculty member :
“ Born and raised in Foggia, Italy, Antonio Pompa-Baldi won the Cleveland International Piano Competition in 1999 and embarked on a career that continues to extend across five continents. He also won a silver medal at the 2001 Van Cliburn Competition, as well as a bronze medal at the 1998 Marguerite Long Competition in Paris. The New York Times described his playing as “meltingly beautiful.”
Pompa-Baldi founded the Todi International Music Masters Festival, of which he is artistic director and faculty member, and sits on the juries of the most prestigious piano competitions in the world.”

maestrob

Re: Pianist Antonio Pompa-Baldi live

Post by maestrob » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:01 am

I have the above disc from the 2001 Van Cliburn, but have not kept up with Pompa-Baldi. He's been busy, issuing lots of fine recordings. His wife is also a pianist, and they sometimes give concerts together. I look forward to hearing this. Thanks for posting!

maestrob

Re: Pianist Antonio Pompa-Baldi live

Post by maestrob » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:04 pm

Absolutely wonderful! Also heard this album below on amazon. Pompa-Baldi is quite the artist, with lots of recordings to prove it. I am now an admirer. Lance & Barney, you should hear this recital!