BBC Record Review June 7

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

BBC Record Review June 7

Post by Rach3 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:35 am

BBC Record Review June 7 with approx. 45 minutes ( starting 30 minutes in ) of comparisons of recordings of Chopin’s Scherzos.Richter,Munich,1977 the “ winner “ , honorable mention to Hough,Ax. Also , Alina Ibragimova’s new Hyperion cd of the Shostakovich Violin Concertos ( I did not hear ) as “Record of the Week “, a new set of the Beethoven symphonies with Malmo Symphony,Robert Trevino,plus other items of interest ( Bach,Mahler,Bruckner) including the inaugural recording of the Cleveland Orchestra/Welser-Most on their own label :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000jv9v

Philip M

Re: BBC Record Review June 7

Post by Philip M » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:48 pm

I was lucky enough to hear Richter play all 4 Scherzi live at Eton School Hall (yes that Eton!) that same year ie Sept 1977. If you think the commercial recording is good - well that night Richter was truly inspired. It was riveting, full of drive and passion, as well as beauty. It was a privilege to be there.

Fortunately someone in the audience recorded it and I have a copy, so I must re-listen to it. Sadly it in awful sound, but the artistry....

Philip

Rach3

Re: BBC Record Review June 7

Post by Rach3 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:26 pm

Philip M wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:48 pm
If you think the commercial recording is good ...
I do have the Richter commercial recording on the BBC review.Rubinstein's last,'60's, which I also have,is not in the same league.