35-CD Peter Serkin Edition Arrived!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

35-CD Peter Serkin Edition Arrived!

Post by Lance » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:11 pm

It was interesting for me to learn that Peter Serkin was very much involved in the presentation of the RCA and Columbia/Sony release of all his "old" recordings but, unfortunately, never lived to see the final package. It does great justice to the late pianist. While he mentions in the notes that after re-listening to those recordings, there were things he would not play the same way from those early years, but changed his mind after several re-hearings. It's all here, including him as a harpsichord continuo player in Bach's Brandenburg Concertos and other Marlboro Festival performances. One can only imagine the frustration he must have felt being the son of a major pianist, but her persisted in his own ideas and was highly respected. When he wrote a note about Sony's presentation of his father Rudolf's complete recordings, he mentions he was not feeling very well, no doubt due to the pancreatic cancer problems he was enduring, and he wished he had done a better job of writing a tribute. It was obvious he loved his father, his art, and the wonderful musical lineage from which he came. Sony asked him to contribute some notes about the release of his own "complete" edition; he was impressed that Sony was even contemplating the release.
I am very pleased to have this set, especially for some of the "Tashi" recordings I missed on LP or CD reissues, and particularly for the modern compositions that I never acquired in the first place.

The composers include JS Bach, Bartok, Beethoven, Berio, Busoni, Chopin, Goehr, Henze, Kirchner, Knussen, Lieberson, Messiaen, Mozart, Reger, Schoenberg, Schubert, Schumann, Stravinsky, Takemitsu and Webern. His collaborators include Alexander Schneider, Rudolf Serkin, Seiji Ozawa, Richard Stoltzman, Horszowski, Ruth Laredo, Arnold Steinhardt, Emanuel Ax, Ida Kavafian, Joseph Silverstein, Peter Lieberson, Claudio Abbado, Takemitsu, Nancy Allen, Fred Sherry, Yo-Yo Ma, Mischa Schneider, among others.

I have the feeling Peter Serkin would be very pleased with the final result of this presentation.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: 35-CD Peter Serkin Edition Arrived!

Post by maestrob » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:03 pm

Lance, I too shied away from many of Peter Serkin's modern repertoire. That he had the chops to tackle such music, and largely made his reputation with it, didn't detract from his artistry in more mainstream repertoire, such as Mozart, Schubert and the Brahms Concerti he recorded with Robert Shaw on, as they say, another label. Still, we can be grateful that this set is available to commemorate his artistry.

Among others, I treasure his recording of a Mozart two-piano concerto on Columbia with his father, the only recording they made together, to my knowledge.