Pianist Boris Giltburg's Beethoven sonatas project

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Pianist Boris Giltburg's Beethoven sonatas project

Post by Rach3 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:34 am

Have not heard any of these videos yet, plan to do so when time permits,Boris Giltburg's complete Beethoven piano sonatas project, Naxos cd's to apparently come out later :

https://beethoven32.com

maestrob

Re: Pianist Boris Giltburg's Beethoven sonatas project

Post by maestrob » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:29 am

Rach3 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:34 am
Have not heard any of these videos yet, plan to do so when time permits,Boris Giltburg's complete Beethoven piano sonatas project, Naxos cd's to apparently come out later :

https://beethoven32.com
IMHO, Giltburg is a major artist. I'm glad he has taken his time before immersing himself in a Beethoven project, The only disappointing recordings I have from him are Rachmaninoff II & III, and those I blame on inferior conductors. I do wish Giltburg would be championed by a major podium talent or two, but that hasn't happened yet. Every one of his solo albums has pleased me so far.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:10 pm

maestrob wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:29 am
. I do wish Giltburg would be championed by a major podium talent or two, but that hasn't happened yet. Every one of his solo albums has pleased me so far.

It is my understanding he is currently recording the LvB concerti with Vassily Petrenko, one of the English orchestras, for Naxos.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:38 pm

Indeed, a wonderful pianist. I have many of his Naxos recordings, one on Orchid and the Dvorak Piano Quintet on Supraphon. Aren't we lucky to have so many pianists in front of us today including not only Giltburg, but Viner, Hamelin, Hough, Maltempo and a plethora of others. It seems to be another "golden age" of pianists during the present time. I don't know if I'm ready for another Beethoven five concertos ... the last one was with Hough on Hyperion. How many can we have and truly appreciate? I still tend to relish the Beethoven 5 with pianists no longer amongst us including Rubinstein's sets, Serkin, Gould, Schnabel, de Larrocha and somany others. Then there's, Lupu, Brendel, Perahia. Isn't it wonderful to make our own concertos using these great artists and mix and match as we want!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

barney

Post by barney » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:36 pm

Lance wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:38 pm
Indeed, a wonderful pianist. I have many of his Naxos recordings, one on Orchid and the Dvorak Piano Quintet on Supraphon. Aren't we lucky to have so many pianists in front of us today including not only Giltburg, but Viner, Hamelin, Hough, Maltempo and a plethora of others. It seems to be another "golden age" of pianists during the present time. I don't know if I'm ready for another Beethoven five concertos ... the last one was with Hough on Hyperion. How many can we have and truly appreciate? I still tend to relish the Beethoven 5 with pianists no longer amongst us including Rubinstein's sets, Serkin, Gould, Schnabel, de Larrocha and somany others. Then there's, Lupu, Brendel, Perahia. Isn't it wonderful to make our own concertos using these great artists and mix and match as we want!
I agree. It's not that modern pianists aren't good - Hough and Lewis are two I esteem highly in Beethoven. It's just that by the time Lewis came along I'd already acquired a couple of dozen versions by the likes of Kempff, Gilels, Schnabel, Rubinstein, Richter, Barenboim, Ashkenazy etc. And I'll never outgrow them.

I've just received DVDs of Pollini doing the late Beethoven sonatas. Haven't opened it yet. But, Lance, do I recall you saying you find Pollini a bit cool in this repertoire, or was it Chopin?

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:38 pm

Agreed about the many sets, but I did acquire young Jan Lisiecki on DGG playing LvB Nos.2,4 live in Berlin with St.Martins in the Field the pianist directs. They have a special sparkle. Nos.1,3,5 also fine, but not as special,IMHO.

barney

Post by barney » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:45 am

Well, I keep acquiring them anyway. Latest, a complete concerto set by young Australians in pianist Jayson Gillham and conductor Nicholas Braithwaite. Again, much to offer and some really fine playing. But when I am feeling like a powerful, spiritual performance of the Emperor, my first thought is always to one of the greats I grew up with. Kempff probably.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:52 am

Rach3 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:38 pm
Agreed about the many sets, but I did acquire young Jan Lisiecki on DGG playing LvB Nos.2,4 live in Berlin with St.Martins in the Field the pianist directs. They have a special sparkle. Nos.1,3,5 also fine, but not as special,IMHO.
Lisiecki,full and complete,fww:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4szJzl ... -6qpB_546g

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:14 am

As to Beethoven Concertos, I must admit to a special fondness for Lewis in his recent set, along with Perahia/ Haitink and Brendel/Levine. I grew up with Van Cliburn/Reiner in IV & V: he was an American hero at the time those were issued, and Reiner brought out the best in that young pianist in the 1960's. Then, there's the ones that Martha Argerich recorded with Abbado! And that's just those made during my lifetime! Uchida also recorded a deeply felt Emperor with Sanderling that made it to CD, which led to another complete cycle that I admire greatly.

We do indeed live in a time of great music-making, which hopefully will resume once a vaccine is finally approved.

barney

Post by barney » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:36 pm

Indeed Brian, that's the odd thing. In some ways the pandemic has ensured that music has never been more accessible - just not live in person as an audience.
And there are an extraordinary number of wonderful players active today. This website is a great way to discover many of them.
Thanks Rach 3 for posting the Lisiecki. I will listen.

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:45 pm

I haven't got any modern recordings of the LvB PCs being very happy with the Perahia/Haitink set and individual performances by R Serkin, Gilels, Brendel et al.

I remember Jayson Gillham from his performances in the Chopin competition including a stunning set of Etudes.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:43 pm

Yes, I have found Pollini to be "cool" in his performances of most things I have on disc, and I have quite a bit. He is not the first "great" pianist I turn to ... emotionally, he does not leave me with a great impression with regard to interpretation. He plays technically superbly well. I have a lot of his Chopin. I would give him a tip of the hat for his Testament [EMI] recording (made in 1960) of Chopin's Etudes, Opp. 10/25, and also his performances of Mozart's Piano Concertos Nos. 12 and 24 on DGG. I was so looking forward to his Schumann recordings on DGG, but again, disappointing to me.
barney wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:36 pm
But, Lance, do I recall you saying you find Pollini a bit cool in this repertoire, or was it Chopin?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

barney

Post by barney » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:50 am

Lance wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:43 pm
Yes, I have found Pollini to be "cool" in his performances of most things I have on disc, and I have quite a bit. He is not the first "great" pianist I turn to ... emotionally, he does not leave me with a great impression with regard to interpretation. He plays technically superbly well. I have a lot of his Chopin. I would give him a tip of the hat for his Testament [EMI] recording (made in 1960) of Chopin's Etudes, Opp. 10/25, and also his performances of Mozart's Piano Concertos Nos. 12 and 24 on DGG. I was so looking forward to his Schumann recordings on DGG, but again, disappointing to me.
barney wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:36 pm
But, Lance, do I recall you saying you find Pollini a bit cool in this repertoire, or was it Chopin?
I enjoy him a bit more than you, especially in Beethoven, but I see where you are coming from. The problem is that to play technically superbly well really is not enough. There are multitudes of pianists who can do that, as links provided almost daily on this website demonstrate. I think he has a rock-solid integrity and authority.