Carnegie Hall and Lincoln Center Cancel Fall Performances

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:05 am

All of New York City’s major classical music institutions will be closed at least until the end of 2020.

By Sarah Bahr

June 18, 2020

With coronavirus cases sharply down in New York City, residents are preparing to return to dining outdoors and visiting hair salons as soon as next week. But as reopening continues this summer and fall, the city’s major classical music institutions will be silent.

On Thursday, Carnegie Hall and Lincoln Center announced they would cancel their fall seasons. Coming on the heels of similar announcements from the Metropolitan Opera and the New York Philharmonic, the decisions make clear that there will be few, if any, large-scale performances before 2021 in one of the world’s musical centers.

“This was a very difficult decision for us to make,” Clive Gillinson, Carnegie’s executive and artistic director, said in a statement. “However, the safety of Carnegie Hall’s artists, audiences and staff is paramount.”

Lincoln Center — which presents performances and also acts as a landlord to the Met, the Philharmonic and other organizations — anticipates over $1.3 million in lost ticket revenue from the cancellation of fall events, Isabel Sinistore, a spokeswoman, said in an email.

She added that the center had seen about $13 million in lost revenue, including ticket sales and rentals of its spaces, since the pandemic began. The center has furloughed or laid off approximately half its staff, and its leadership team has taken salary cuts.

Synneve Carlino, a spokeswoman for Carnegie Hall, said the hall is projecting a deficit of approximately $8 million for the fiscal year ending June 30. It anticipates a larger deficit next year, including the impact of losing approximately $13 million to $14 million in ticket revenue and rental income from the cancellation of its fall season.

Those losses will be partially offset by furloughs of approximately 50 of the hall’s 274 full-time employees who had still been working this spring. (Another 80 staff members, including ushers and stagehands, had already stopped working when the hall closed in March.) There will be pay cuts for all employees making over $75,000 a year.

The hall tentatively plans to reopen its three theaters on Jan. 7, 2021, and Lincoln Center aims to follow on Feb. 6. Carnegie’s opening night gala, originally scheduled for Oct. 7, will become a virtual celebration on a date to be announced.

New York’s theaters have been closed since the middle of March. The Met, which hopes to return with a New Year’s Eve gala, has projected that its empty stage will cost it close to $100 million in lost revenue. The Philharmonic plans to return early in 2021. On Thursday, New York City Ballet announced that it, too, would close for the fall, losing its lucrative “Nutcracker” run around Christmastime. Broadway theaters are shuttered at least through Labor Day, but many industry officials believe they will remain closed significantly longer than that.

Closures continue outside New York, too: On Tuesday, both San Francisco Opera and the Lyric Opera of Chicago, the two largest American opera companies besides the Met, announced the cancellation of their fall seasons.

While live musical performances look to be largely out for this fall, several of New York’s museums have announced tentative opening plans. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, a national bellwether, is aiming for mid-August.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/18/arts ... virus.html

barney

Re: Carnegie Hall and Lincoln Center Cancel Fall Performances

Post by barney » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:48 am

Melbourne Symphony Orchestra (which is MUCH more important to me :D ) has just cancelled everything to the end of August, and is unlikely to resume then. Opera Australia's spring season in Melbourne opens in November; I'm not holding my breath.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:27 am

As expected. The idiots in the rest of the country that are trying to re-start the economy are, IMHO, simply being too hasty and are putting lives at risk. I won't get political here, that's for the Pub, where I do not participate because I don't like shouting matches yet I do fear that we will lose many lives unnecessarily before this is all over. At least our musical institutions are acting sensibly.

barney

Post by barney » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:38 pm

Australia, as you probably know, had a really good record at containing the virus. Victoria, the state where I live, has just experienced a resurgence of cases.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:11 pm

barney wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:38 pm
Australia, as you probably know, had a really good record at containing the virus. Victoria, the state where I live, has just experienced a resurgence of cases.
Sorry to hear, but do try to keep your wines coming our way. Had 2 Lindemans last week, a shiraz/cabernet and a cabernet/merlot. Not sure wine is a defense against the virus, but if you drink enough of it , you cant drive, have to stay home !

barney

Post by barney » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:54 am

Yes, I just had a resurgence of cases. Bought a couple of cases from the Wine Collective which arrived this week. A Coonawarra cabernet reduced from $26 a bottle to $12, and the Collective's red of the year, a Barossa shiraz. Haven't opened either. The point of the red of the year is to lay it down and forget it for at least a decade.
Excellent point about drinking and staying home. As I never drink and drive (one-glass maximum), unless my wife is coming with me, all my drinking is done at home. Recently I found in a watch repair shop a $10 alcohol breath tester, which is a handy device (assuming it's accurate).
I'll be delighted to open a couple of my favourites when you get to Australia. Of course we like what we are used to, so big-bodied, big-flavoured wines are that for me. But there still must be balance and subtlety of course - we have plenty of very ordinary wines that have body and intense flavour, but the flavour is one-sided.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:27 am

Rach3 wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:11 pm
Had 2 Lindemans last week, a shiraz/cabernet and a cabernet/merlot.
We've started drinking them again-don't know why we stopped-it's nice wine and very well priced-$5.99 a bottle! Regards, Len :D

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:29 am

lennygoran wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:27 am
We've started drinking them again-don't know why we stopped-it's nice wine and very well priced-$5.99 a bottle! Regards, Len :D
I also have an occasional Alamos malbec. Parker gave the 2018 a 90,Dunning a 91.Here about $9 !

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:45 pm

Everywhere this is happening. Such a shame. i know so many artists, singers, and performers who are in misery not performing. Our museums, orchestra, opera company, ballet ... all we take for granted, are at a standstill. Even opening up, people are afraid to go to anything including funeral parlors to make visitations. Movie theaters: forget it. I shan't go either. I even wonder how all this is going to affect our great Binghamton University here come late August. While I am still very much involved with pianos there, I have never seen the place look so bleak with nary a soul around. I just ... wonder.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]