Willian Grant Still: Miss Sally's Party

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Willian Grant Still: Miss Sally's Party

Post by Lance » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:09 pm

How wonderful Sirius-XM radio is when you are traveling! The other day I heard a piece by William Grant Still that I had to have. (We've all been there, I know!). This piece was entitled Miss Sally's Dance, comprised of eight sections in all. There is a marvelous piano part in the piece, but no mention of the pianist (probably Brunelle). The one CD I could find was on the Clarion label [905] issued as long ago as 1996 and apparently again in 2004. The album is entitled "Skyward My People Rose," and includes some other Still pieces: Wailing Woman; Swanee River (Old Folks at Home), And They Lynched Him in a Tree, Reverie, Elegy. Philip Brunelle is the conductor/organist with VocalEssence Ensemble Singers and Chorus with Orchestra. William Warfield, narrator, Yolanda Williams, soprano, Hilda Harris, mezzo-soprano and the Leigh Morris Chorale is involved. William Grant Still was a Black composer born in Mississippi in 1895 and died is Los Angeles in 1978. He wrote a considerable amount of music, including symphonies, much solo piano music and other orchestral and choral pieces. Miss Sally's Dance will get your blood moving, for sure! Anybody know this piece?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

barney

Re: Willian Grant Still: Miss Sally's Party

Post by barney » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:45 am

No, but I'd like to. Sounds fun - and maybe more than that.

stickles

Post by stickles » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:14 am

Just found a youtube link for this piece.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3qB-ch2k2M

and here is a fresh live performance of Still's Afro-American Symphony conducted by Karina Canellakis, all the more relevant given the recent events.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dVPsrE2aCg

barney

Post by barney » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:06 pm

Great hunting. Thank you.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:42 pm

Yes, thank-you, stickles.

William Grant Still's music is inventive, full of depth and character, and thankfully, widely recorded and available on youtube and amazon. I hadn't heard Miss Sally's Party, though, and am happy to know the piece now.

Here's a disc of piano music that has won high praise:

barney

Post by barney » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:31 pm

I enjoyed the piece, which was idiomatic, mildly jazzy and not without interest. But the party is much higher-toned than the pictures with the YouTube clip, which indicate a far wilder, more manic party for which this music simply wouldn't do. :D

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:38 pm

I have several discs of Still's music and enjoy it. Tuneful and colorful, he wrote for many instrumental combinations as well as for voice. It started with a song titled "Golden Days" I heard on the radio played by the Manhattan Chamber Orchestra with soprano Margaret Astrup.
Thanks for the reminder of this wonderful composer.

John