Rach3, Where are You?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Rach3, Where are You?

Post by maestrob » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:31 am

You are greatly missed, as are your frequent and deeply entertaining musical offerings!

Are you OK, and just taking a break? We certainly hope so!

:D

Rach3

Re: Rach3, Where are You?

Post by Rach3 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:29 am

Many thanks for your kind words and expressions of concern.Much appreciated.

I receive far more benefit and wisdom from this group than I provide.

We lost all power here about 2:30 pm Monday Aug.10 , and were not restored to power until last night,Monday,Aug.17 at about 9:30 pm, as the result of our Aug.10 " derecho". "Derecho" is not the title of a work by Henze or Stockhausen , but an "inland hurricane." Worst storm I've experienced in 71 years.

I dont mean to blather on, but some additional detail if interested, or you can just skip the following :

https://www.thecut.com/2020/08/derecho- ... -help.html

https://www.kcrg.com/2020/08/17/nationa ... f-130-mph/ ( I live in the 80 mph green cone at the Iowa-Illinois border on Mississippi River due east of Cedar Rapids,northeast of Quad Cities.)

Not as bad here as the devastation in Cedar Rapids area, but still bad, winds at 70-80 mph here `for about 90 minutes.We lost some small tree limbs, nothing major, no house damage other than our roof snowmelt wires came loose a couple places, which I could fix on the 2 lower roof levels, a contractor coming to fix one on upper most level. Some people had large trees fall on their homes ( 2 houses just across streets from me ), and/or cars. Glad we had a garden for daily tomatoes, zucchini,cucumbers,some fruit and potatoes already on hand, and a bit of meat we salvaged I could cook outside on charcoal grill ( no electricity for stove ), as otherwise we had to throw away about 90 % of what had in the friges and freezers when lost power.Were able to largely make do with what food we could salvage, as well as peanut butter and bread, and purchasing daily ice. Gas for cars was out a couple days as pumps had no electricity.Some grocery stores were closed a day or two, and had to pitch all their frozen stuff, and meat,dairy. We were helped hugely by temps ranging 55F.- 60F. at night, highs in upper 70’s or low 80’s daytime , low humidity, since no A/C.Thankfully no rain since Aug.10 so repairs could proceed more quickly. Water supplies were largely unaffected.Cell phone service was out, but I still have a landline which remained open.We have a gas, not electric, water heater for bathing.

The agricultural community has huge losses, estimated 40 % of Iowa's corn crop was damaged or lost.Total damages to State estimated at $4B.Trump flying in today ( largely because our GOP Governor is a completely incompetent moron Trump lapdog whose response to the virus and this natural disaster has been as criminal as his).

We were very lucky.Others were not.Food has been a problem for some,thankfully small, especially for renters, and a few have been left homeless. There were long lines for several days all day long at any fast food restaurants that still had power.Fortunately no deaths, just a few serious injuries.

All of course in an area where the virus is out of control thanks to our incompetent State leadership.

Not to make light, but I did re-enact being a soldier in the British Army in India during the Raj by drinking my India pale ale warm, and confirmed that one of the benefits of cheap shiraz and cheap malbec is their ability to accommodate a bit of ice with losing their essentials.

Have a plan A,B,C, and the ability,supplies on hand, to survive on your own for at least 2 weeks as you will be on your own ,especially the first few days.

Thanks again for your concerns.

Arrived last week the DGG 2-cd set of the recordings by the Emerson Quartet of the complete Brahms String Quartets, and then joined by the late Leon Fleisher in the Brahms Piano Quintet.More on that after I hear it.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:52 am

Holy cow!

I thought it was something like that. Very glad to read that you're OK, and that your home withstood the mad weather. Climate change is real!

Of course I've seen the devastation on CNN. I had no idea that you were in the middle of all that.

Please stay safe and well, post when you're able, and enjoy the Shiraz and Malbec (my favorite wine)! :D

Deepest sympathies for all in your community for this disaster.

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:59 am

That's quite an ordeal, Steve! Hope that all goes smoothly in the future.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:12 am

Rach3 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:29 am
We lost all power here about 2:30 pm Monday Aug.10 , and were not restored to power until last night,Monday,Aug.17 at about 9:30 pm, as the result of our Aug.10 " derecho". ...we had to throw away about 90 % of what had in the friges and freezers when lost power.
Know what you mean about throwing out food-the year before Sandy in Oct we lost power for 8 days-terrible-food thrown out, well water off-following Oct there was Sandy--another 8 day outage--only this time we had a standby generator-what a difference-worth every penny we spent on it! Glad you're safe! Regards, Len

barney

Post by barney » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:20 pm

My goodness, that's awful. How did you keep warm? We were without power for about 30 hours a month or so ago, and I thought the end of the world was nigh! A week! They breed 'em tough where you are.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:16 pm

barney wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:20 pm
My goodness, that's awful. How did you keep warm ?
It is high Summer here so our concern was keeping cool without any AC or fans.Luckily, temps for the week were in the 55F. - 82F. evening lows to daytime highs ( approx. 13C. - 28 C. ) ,and low humidity, and our house is well shaded on the main sun side. Fortunately , I also had a supply of Lindeman shiraz which could stand up to ice,and my wife rediscovered the cooling effects of fresh lime juice mixed with Schweppes over ice ( infused with Gordon’s ), so unlike WC Fields on his African safari we were not required to exist on only food and water.

Thanks for your kind thoughts.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:23 pm

Ricordanza wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:59 am
That's quite an ordeal, Steve! Hope that all goes smoothly in the future.
Thanks , Henry. Much appreciated. And a reminder to us all to support our local emergency responders. I frankly do not comprehend how those suffering far worse disasters than mine manage to persevere, far,far greater strengths than mine. Stay well and safe.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:30 pm

Wow. No news of this up here in Canada, whatsoever. With COVID, domestic political turmoil and the usual array of Trump stupidity, quite a bit of news doesn't get through.

For a day or so, I was concerned that you might have been upset about me asking you to correct a thread title typo. Believe me, people have been offended and left here for less. So glad to hear it was just a vicious storm that left you stranded with only some warm Shiraz!

In Ontario, we have had storms like this on occasion, but I think they call them bursts, or if they're in a specific area, microbursts. A decade or so ago one took out half of the trees over hundreds of square miles of northern Ontario.

Glad all is well now.
Last edited by slofstra on Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:02 pm

slofstra wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:30 pm
For a day or so, I was concerned that you might have been upset about me asking you to correct a thread....Glad all is well now.
Many thanks for your concerns, and no issue ever about correcting me. After 42 years of marriage ( to the same lady ), and 2 headstrong ( they take after their mother ) 30-something sons, I am quite used to being corrected on at least a daily basis.

The way matters are progressing here in the States, I am giving consideration to a move to New Zealand, Norway, or your Maritimes.

Enough about me. On to music....

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:28 am

I was getting worried too, Steve. Your contributions are very much appreciated here. Glad to know you survived the ordeal and everyone is okay. Sometimes we never really appreciate what we have until we don't have it. Hope all is in the clear for you now. All we need to do is get rid of this life-changing coronavirus.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:09 am

Rach3 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:02 pm
slofstra wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:30 pm
For a day or so, I was concerned that you might have been upset about me asking you to correct a thread....Glad all is well now.
Many thanks for your concerns, and no issue ever about correcting me. After 42 years of marriage ( to the same lady ), and 2 headstrong ( they take after their mother ) 30-something sons, I am quite used to being corrected on at least a daily basis.

The way matters are progressing here in the States, I am giving consideration to a move to New Zealand, Norway, or your Maritimes.

Enough about me. On to music....
Well, that's good to hear. And given what you said, the phrase "Essentila MOzart" is like fingernails on chalkboard for me. It just jumps at me whenever I open the page. It's not anything at all in any objective sense, but to illustrate what I mean, having once done it, I don't ever paint rooms. The reason is that every time I walk in the room, I'll see that little spot where my brush strayed onto the ceiling from the wall. It's like that - borderline OCD. Fortunately, my wife loves to paint - walls and benches and the like. She's also great with fences - post holes, cement and the woodworking, benches and other carpentry. Me, hopeless at that stuff. Oh, and if she ever does paint over a line, I don't see it. In fact, it's more like, "Nan, there's something different about our bedroom. Not sure ..." "Well, I repainted all the walls yesterday. It was blue, remember. Now it's green". "Oh, yeah. Well you can't say I didn't notice."