Mikhail Pletnev plays Rachmaninoff live in 2017

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Mikhail Pletnev plays Rachmaninoff live in 2017

Post by Rach3 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:40 pm

Whether one cares , or not , for his interpretations , I find Pletnev usually fascinating and original, certainly in most works here , even in The Prelude. The Op.10 “ Barcarolle” was amazing from the first bar, the waters filled with ice.The Op.23,# 4 Prelude I used to play at myself, one of the gems of all the Preludes, the composer’s under-rated polyphonic skills fully displayed in Pletnev’s sensitive reading.Pletnev’s moonlit, luminous reading of the wind-blown snow shower (?) ,Op.23,# 7, was also quite effective. Although not sure I liked his conception, Pletnev’s “deconstructed “ , almost “minimalist “ bells, the Op.39,# 7 Etude, was certainly sui generis in my experience.While I was looking forward to the 1st Sonata, for me one of the composer’s best works and more interesting, more depth, than his nearly ubiquitous 2nd Sonata, Pletnev’s over-studied reading robbed the work of its life,emotional impact , and communication for me, my gold standard still John Ogdon’s ca.1968 studio recording on then RCA lp. Would be surprised if Pletnev played the Sonata in this manner when he was 20. I stopped listening after about the first third of the last mov.BBC sound here a bit muffled at times, but first half not to be missed.

Rachmaninov:
Morceaux de fantaisie, Op 3 Nos 2, 1 & 4
Morceaux de salon, Op 10 Nos 3 & No 5
Prelude in B flat major, Op 23 No 2
Prelude in D major, Op 23 No 4
Prelude in C minor, Op 23 No 7
Prelude in G minor, Op 23 No 5
Prelude in A minor, Op 32 No 8
Prelude in G sharp minor, Op 32 No 12
Etude-tableau in C minor, Op 39 No 7

INTERVAL ( I did not hear ): The Gringolts Quartet perform the first three movements from Schumann's String Quartet no.1 in A minor Op.41 no.1

Rachmaninov: Piano Sonata No 1 in D minor, Op 28

2017 Edinburgh Festival, Queen’s Hall.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000lsmt

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Mikhail Pletnev plays Rachmaninoff live in 2017

Post by Lance » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:40 am

Given Pletnev's rather extensive discography, it's odd that he hasn't recorded more solo piano music by Rachmaninoff ... checking DGG, EMI, Virgin, Aulos, Melodiya, Granzapis and a fewothers, Rachmaninoff doesn't loom as large as Tchaikovsky, for example, in his discography.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:49 am

Lance wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:40 am
Given Pletnev's rather extensive discography, it's odd that he hasn't recorded more solo piano music by Rachmaninoff ... checking DGG, EMI, Virgin, Aulos, Melodiya, Granzapis and a fewothers, Rachmaninoff doesn't loom as large as Tchaikovsky, for example, in his discography.
Interesting! The only Rachmaninov available from Pletnev on amazon are his recordings of the Symphonies as conductor, and the Concertos as pianist, with Libor Pesek, not a notable Rachmaninov interpreter. Pletnev's ideas can be a bit eccentric, both as pianist and conductor, so I'm curious but not surprised that his solo Rachmaninov is no longer available. I did post a favorable review of his Moussorgsky Pictures awhile back, but with the caveat that his interpretation was a bit original.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:35 pm

Well!

In this recital, at least, I found Pletnev's ideas on Rachmaninoff very odd and disturbing. I stopped listening after just a few numbers and gave up.

Not at all to my taste.

Like Maazel in his late years in NY, I find that distorting the music just for the sake of doing something new and different extremely offensive. There are other, wonderful ways to inject your personality into the proceedings without willful distortions of tempo and dynamics. Great musicians know how to do this. Pletnev, here, is not acting like one.

barney

Post by barney » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:42 pm

maestrob wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:35 pm
Like Maazel in his late years in NY, I find that distorting the music just for the sake of doing something new and different extremely offensive. There are other, wonderful ways to inject your personality into the proceedings without willful distortions of tempo and dynamics. Great musicians know how to do this. Pletnev, here, is not acting like one.
Well, if I may be forgiven for cross-fertilising current threads here, that is exactly how I feel about Gould. Sometimes there are wilful distortions of tempo, dynamics, shading etc, and sometimes it annoys me. But sometimes, equally, I find it revelatory, opening up new vistas. So I take the rough with the smooth.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:13 am

barney wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:42 pm
maestrob wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:35 pm
Well, if I may be forgiven for cross-fertilising current threads here, that is exactly how I feel about Gould. Sometimes there are wilful distortions of tempo, dynamics, shading etc, and sometimes it annoys me. But sometimes, equally, I find it revelatory, opening up new vistas. So I take the rough with the smooth.
Interesting POV, Barney. I mostly agree, but, somehow, I've not found anything in Gould as offensive as what I heard here in this recital by Pletnev. Pletnev has, frankly, the same sort of odd ideas in some of his conducting that I've heard, so I avoid those recordings as well, in spite of their high ratings on amazon. Of course, we each have our own personal reactions to music, and I haven't listened to my Gould CDs in years, so my memory may be wanting.

barney

Post by barney » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:44 am

Well, Brian, I was speaking in the most generic sense. I haven't listened to the Pletnev yet. Hope to at the weekend. :D