Moura Lympany Boxes

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Moura Lympany Boxes

Post by maestrob » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:27 am

Been investigating Moura Lympany for a while, and just noticed the box pictured at the top of this post. I'm just wondering if I should buy all three sets, or does the top box pictured contain duplications from the other two. Does anyone here know the answer? Thanks!

barney

Re: Moura Lympany Boxes

Post by barney » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:35 am

I have the middle box, Brian, and can recommend that.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:08 pm

As you probably surmise, I have each of those. The Membran (10-CD boxed sets) are very reasonably priced and most of the newer sets by this company have been very well done in terms of transfers. However, the Decca and APR boxes are must-haves and the restorations are excellent. Decca, of course, will use original masters where available, however APR's technical process is very well known especially when it comes to anything piano. Hope that helps.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:15 am

Thanks, Barney & Lance!

It looks like I'll be ordering the HMV grey box and the Decca set for sure, and soon. I'm frankly concerned that the top box pictured is simply duplications from the other sets, so will pass on that for now, unless I hear advice to the contrary. :)

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:15 am

I don't have the Membran set, but it looks like about half the set is duplicated in the Decca and APR sets. The Decca and APR are all mono material. Membran also includes some of her stereo recordings made for EMI (Grieg/Schumann Concertos, Chopin Nocturnes and Waltzes, and Khachaturian Concerto). It also has a recording of the Chopin Préludes that is not a part of the other two sets and might be stereo if the date of 1956 is correct.

She also made two recordings for EMI of small pieces in digital sound that were available in the U.S. at super-budget price (Best Loved Piano Classics I & II). These are well worth having as her playing is beautiful. Perhaps the Decca set will convince Warner to issue her EMI recordings complete.

John

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:54 am

CharmNewton wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:15 am
I don't have the Membran set, but it looks like about half the set is duplicated in the Decca and APR sets. The Decca and APR are all mono material. Membran also includes some of her stereo recordings made for EMI (Grieg/Schumann Concertos, Chopin Nocturnes and Waltzes, and Khachaturian Concerto). It also has a recording of the Chopin Préludes that is not a part of the other two sets and might be stereo if the date of 1956 is correct.

She also made two recordings for EMI of small pieces in digital sound that were available in the U.S. at super-budget price (Best Loved Piano Classics I & II). These are well worth having as her playing is beautiful. Perhaps the Decca set will convince Warner to issue her EMI recordings complete.

John
Many thanks, John. That was most informative, and exactly the answer I was looking for. For now, I think I'll order the Decca and HMV sets, and hold off on the Membran, hoping that Warner will get around to issuing her stereo recordings.