New Hamelin cd

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

New Hamelin cd

Post by Rach3 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:43 am

I have not heard, probably wont acquire, but FYI came across this when looking for something else:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/a ... d-thalberg
Last edited by Rach3 on Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

maestrob

Re: New Hamelin cd

Post by maestrob » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:16 am

Hamelin is one of only several Great Pianists recording consistently enjoyable discs these days. Unfortunately, he doesn't allow his offerings to be streamed on amazon yet, but I love all those that I own. Being an opera afficionado, I may acquire this. Thanks! :)

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:15 am

The Hamelin cd briefly reviewed by BBC Radio 3 today, with one of Liszt’s “Ernani” paraphrases played complete.At about 23:45 in to the broadcast :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000m55m

barney

Post by barney » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:18 pm

I haven't listened to the BBC link yet, though I will today. But this is already a must-have for me. I love opera transcriptions - some sort of mental weakness in me, no doubt - and I love Hamelin. And the idea of replicating the 1830s contest is irresistible. I love that sort of historical replication, such as last year when the Melbourne Symphony replicated Beethoven's famous hours-long 1806 concert. It was brilliant!
By the time I next log in to CMG, I will have ordered it. Not for the first time, I'm in your debt Rach3 - or Steve as some called you on another thread. Tell me your preference and I will follow it.
Thanks again, Barney

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:46 am

barney wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:18 pm
But this is already a must-have for me. I love opera transcriptions - some sort of mental weakness in me, no doubt - and I love Hamelin.
I share your "weakness" and I've been a fan of Hamelin since I first heard him performing in a record store in 1996. Liszt's Norma fantasy was one of the pieces he played on that occasion. Just ordered this CD.

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:28 am

Ricordanza wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:46 am
barney wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:18 pm
But this is already a must-have for me. I love opera transcriptions - some sort of mental weakness in me, no doubt - and I love Hamelin.
I share your "weakness" and I've been a fan of Hamelin since I first heard him performing in a record store in 1996. Liszt's Norma fantasy was one of the pieces he played on that occasion. Just ordered this CD.
Just received this CD and played it for the first time. Hamelin has recorded a wide range of music (the liner notes say that he has recorded 60 CDs for the Hyperion label), but I can't think of anyone who comes close to him in this repertoire. The music is thoroughly enjoyable, the performances are thrilling, and I'm looking forward to listening to this disc again and again.