Fritz Werner: Bach Cantata Box

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

david johnson

Fritz Werner: Bach Cantata Box

Post by david johnson » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:20 am

Bach/Sacred Cantatas/Werner/SW German Chamber Orchestra - I picked up the Bach Sacred Cantata box (Erato) from Arkivmusic for $20.00 on sale. I had been considering this type of purchase, but was thinking of the more expensive versions. Since I had none of these works this seemed the way to go. The first disc is very enjoyable. Do you all have much to say regarding the Werner box?

maestrob

Re: Fritz Werner: Bach Cantata Box

Post by maestrob » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:52 am

david johnson wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:20 am
Bach/Sacred Cantatas/Werner/SW German Chamber Orchestra - I picked up the Bach Sacred Cantata box (Erato) from Arkivmusic for $20.00 on sale. I had been considering this type of purchase, but was thinking of the more expensive versions. Since I had none of these works this seemed the way to go. The first disc is very enjoyable. Do you all have much to say regarding the Werner box?
Good morning, David. :)

As far as I can tell, this box is not a complete survey of the cantatas, as he recorded only about half of them before his death in 1973. However, it is certainly a bargain, so enjoy!

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:49 pm

david johnson wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:20 am
If you have any other cantatas at all that you could use as a reference point I would be interested to hear from you how they compare in an A-B test. The reason I'm interested is in my assumption that even what are considered second tier choral recordings from Dutch and German sources are still very excellent because of the high regard in those countries for Bach and the choral tradition.
Along that line I've just lately purchased a box with Haitink and his work with the Bavarian Radio Orchestra and Chorus. This includes some core choral repertoire including Haydn's Schopfung and Mahler's Third. Ambitious stuff and I haven't played any of it just yet.

david johnson

Post by david johnson » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:22 am

Thank you, guys.