Kopatchinskaja's new Vivaldi cd

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Kopatchinskaja's new Vivaldi cd

Post by Rach3 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:17 am

Patricia Kopatchinskaja,violin, Il Giardino Armonico/Giovanni Antonini, “What’s Next Vivaldi? “, Alpha cd , complete cd for free listening here:

https://www.nporadio4.nl/cds/what-s-next-vivaldi

A little Vivaldi goes a long way with me, so I heard just the first 2 concertos.

barney

Re: Kopatchinskaja's new Vivaldi cd

Post by barney » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:49 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:17 am

A little Vivaldi goes a long way with me, so I heard just the first 2 concertos.
How true that is. I feel Vivaldi wrote the same work 600 times; they are all interchangeable. I don't mind if I never hear the Four Seasons again. I like the violinist, though.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:21 am

barney wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:49 pm
Rach3 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:17 am

How true that is. I feel Vivaldi wrote the same work 600 times; they are all interchangeable. I don't mind if I never hear the Four Seasons again. I like the violinist, though.
Yes, well, as far as Vivaldi's instrumental works go, I agree. Fortunately, we also have his vocal output, including the famous Gloria, which I think is a masterpiece, and his operas, which IMHO are filled with vocal invention and pathos. Cecelia Bartoli has two albums of Vivaldi's greatest arias and a great DVD, Viva Vivaldi, and I listen to them often, marveling at his inventiveness and originality, helped of course by her great expressive talent. IOW, Bartoli has done for Vivaldi what Callas did for Donizetti and Bellini in her generation. Would love to see these staged.

That said, I prefer the Four Seasons done in HIP style, where the drama in the piece is more readily apparent. His concertos for various instruments make for OK background listening, but I have yet to hear all 600 of them, and have no plans to do so! :lol:

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:54 am

Interesting, same orchestra, conductor, on the Bartoli dvd as on the Kopatchinskaja cd.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:21 am

Rach3 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:54 am
Interesting, same orchestra, conductor, on the Bartoli dvd as on the Kopatchinskaja cd.
Well, that's a plus for Kopatchinskaja for sure! :)