Revisiting Met's McVicar Donizetti Roberto Devereux

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Revisiting Met's McVicar Donizetti Roberto Devereux

Post by lennygoran » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:33 am

We were so delighted with Sunday's Norma we decided to revisit this one last night in the comfort of our home-again using the Met's On Demand. We had seen it live at the Met in 2016. Traditional and wonderful production--amazing that it took the Met so long to do this opera but they did justice to it--more then I can say for how glimmerglass handled his L'assedio di Calais! The cast sang and acted wonderfully. Sondra Radvanovsky was absolutely amazing. Len

Soprano Sondra Radvanovsky completes her season-long exploration of Donizetti’s three Tudor queen operas, starring as Elizabeth I in this final installment. David McVicar’s atmospheric Met premiere production frames the dramatic and heart-rending love story of the queen and the Earl of Essex as a play within a play unfolding before the members of the royal court. Radvanovsky’s portrayal of the aging monarch is a tour de force, laying bare the conflict between her public duties as ruler of England and her private feelings as a woman. Matthew Polenzani is the Earl of Essex, Roberto Devereux, the object of her affections who is torn between two women. Elīna Garanča as Sarah and Mariusz Kwiecien as her husband, the Duke of Nottingham, complete the quartet of principals. Maurizio Benini conducts.

Performance Date Apr 16, 2016

Composer Gaetano Donizetti

Librettist Salvadore Cammarano

Run Time 2 HRS 40 MIN

Metropolitan Opera Orchestra and Chorus

Cast & Creative
Conductor
Maurizio Benini
Queen Elizabeth (Elisabetta)
Sondra Radvanovsky
Sarah (Sara), Duchess of Nottingham
Elīna Garanča
Robert (Roberto) Devereux, Earl of Essex
Matthew Polenzani
Duke of Nottingham
Mariusz Kwiecien

barney

Re: Revisiting Met's McVicar Donizetti Roberto Devereux

Post by barney » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:12 am

I went to this years ago by the Melbourne Opera, a third-tier company. It was excellent for a third-tier company, but I think it is safe to say the Met was vastly better resourced and a much better production. :D Still, good on Melbourne Opera for attempting it. It was part of Donizetti's unofficial Tudor trilogy.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:39 am

barney wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:12 am
It was part of Donizetti's unofficial Tudor trilogy.
Barney we were at all 3 when the Met did them-they're all there at the On Demand site-it's a big collection and after the opera there's a nice set of interviews. Regards, Len :D

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:15 pm

lennygoran wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:39 am
barney wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:12 am
It was part of Donizetti's unofficial Tudor trilogy.
Barney we were at all 3 when the Met did them-they're all there at the On Demand site-it's a big collection and after the opera there's a nice set of interviews. Regards, Len :D
Lucky you, Len! Sadly, the MET did not broadcast all 3 queens on PBS, so I had to miss this. I do have the Anna Bolena by Netrebko, which I still find stunningly sung and acted. What a great singer she is!

I strongly believe that the MET should release all three operas in a DVD set so that we can preserve them in our libraries.

It took Beverly Sills until 2000 to negotiate the release of her portrayals of Donizetti's monarchs on CD's issued by DGG. By that time, although they received 5 star reviews from her fans (and still do on amazon), I found Rudel's ornamentation and conducting sadly dated, and, quite frankly, Sills's voice quite harsh, although that may be partially the fault of Westminster's recording team. Good to have for historical purposes, but not my first recommendation musically.

There's an apocalyptic story that Beverly Sills, who had married by that time into immense wealth, had to threaten Rudel that she would hire Carnegie Hall and present the 3 Queens in concert if he did not allow her to perform them at Lincoln Center, which Rudel was initially reluctant to do. Not one of her finest moments, as she herself later admitted in an interview. I personally think that her decision to push her voice into such dramatic material actually triggered her vocal decline, much as Renata Scotto's decision to sing Abigaille in Nabucco did for her.

The results, while famous, speak for themselves, and I'm glad the MET finally mounted their much finer productions of Donizetti's great operas.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:50 pm

maestrob wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:15 pm
Lucky you, Len! Sadly, the MET did not broadcast all 3 queens on PBS, so I had to miss this. I do have the Anna Bolena by Netrebko, which I still find stunningly sung and acted. What a great singer she is!<
Barney we saw the Bolena live with Angela Meade-then saw it on HD with Netrebko-I know people who say Meade was better-however for me Netrebko won the day-Meade had little stage presence-you know that wasn't the case with Netrebko. Regards, Len

PS-fortunately On Demand has Netrebko!

Anna Bolena
Buy Tickets

David McVicar's atmospheric and brooding production captures the drama of this riveting piece of British history, retold as only Donizetti could. International superstar Anna Netrebko is Queen Anne Boleyn, trapped in an unhappy marriage to King Henry VIII (Ildar Abdrazakov) whose roving eye has settled on another woman—Jane Seymour (Ekaterina Gubanova), Anna's friend, but now her unwitting rival. Add in Anna's early love, Percy (Stephen Costello), just returned to the court from exile, and the result is a haunting, explosive account of Queen Anna's tragic final days, before she goes to her execution in one of the most moving and dazzling final scenes in all of opera.

Handelian

Post by Handelian » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:06 pm

lennygoran wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:50 pm
maestrob wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:15 pm
Lucky you, Len! Sadly, the MET did not broadcast all 3 queens on PBS, so I had to miss this. I do have the Anna Bolena by Netrebko, which I still find stunningly sung and acted. What a great singer she is!<
Barney we saw the Bolena live with Angela Meade-then saw it on HD with Netrebko-I know people who say Meade was better-however for me Netrebko won the day-Meade had little stage presence-you know that wasn't the case with Netrebko. Regards, Len

PS-fortunately On Demand has Netrebko!

Anna Bolena
Buy Tickets

David McVicar's atmospheric and brooding production captures the drama of this riveting piece of British history, retold as only Donizetti could. International superstar Anna Netrebko is Queen Anne Boleyn, trapped in an unhappy marriage to King Henry VIII (Ildar Abdrazakov) whose roving eye has settled on another woman—Jane Seymour (Ekaterina Gubanova), Anna's friend, but now her unwitting rival. Add in Anna's early love, Percy (Stephen Costello), just returned to the court from exile, and the result is a haunting, explosive account of Queen Anna's tragic final days, before she goes to her execution in one of the most moving and dazzling final scenes in all of opera.
Netrebko is a stage animal. She is electric on stage.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:27 pm

Handelian wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:06 pm

Netrebko is a stage animal. She is electric on stage.
Definitely! Regards, Len :D