Rachmaninoff's Orchestral Transcriptions, 2 pianos

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Rachmaninoff's Orchestral Transcriptions, 2 pianos

Post by Lance » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:17 am

I wasn't immediately aware of this—maybe my brain power has receded during this virus situation—but I recently discovered that Sergei Rachmaninoff transcribed at least two orchestral works for two pianos:

1] Glazunov's Symphony No. 6 in C Minor, Op. 58 (all four movements)
2] Rachmaninoff: Fantasy, The Rock, Op. 7

The works are performed by pianists Dag Achatz and Yukie Nagai and appear on BIS CD 746, which includes Leon Conus's two-piano transcription of Scriabin's Poem of Ecstasy, Op. 54. •
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: Rachmaninoff's Orchestral Transcriptions, 2 pianos

Post by maestrob » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:01 pm

Lance wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:17 am
I wasn't immediately aware of this—maybe my brain power has receded during this virus situation—but I recently discovered that Sergei Rachmaninoff transcribed at least two orchestral works for two pianos:

1] Glazunov's Symphony No. 6 in C Minor, Op. 58 (all four movements)
2] Rachmaninoff: Fantasy, The Rock, Op. 7

The works are performed by pianists Dag Achatz and Yukie Nagai and appear on BIS CD 746, which includes Leon Conus's two-piano transcription of Scriabin's Poem of Ecstasy, Op. 54. •
Sounds interesting Lance! I found the duo on Presto's website: it appears that they've been recording for Bis for some time and have some interesting repertoire on several discs. Thanks for the alert! :)