Ivan Moravec

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Ivan Moravec

Post by maestrob » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:45 am

Ivan Moravec is a name that doesn't often come up in these pages, but his skill and sensitivity with the music of Chopin and Debussy take pride of place in my collection. Now, Supraphon has recently released this 12 CD set which has gone almost unnoticed in the press TMK. Here below is the publicity release on amazon America accompanying this important issue:
When a double volume featuring Ivan Moravec was included in the 1999 Great pianists of the 20th Century box set (Philips Records), many a music lover was taken aback. Although Americans knew the Czech artist, owing mainly to the Connoisseur Society, a lot of European listeners and critics had overlooked him yet the recordings contained in the edition certainly attested to Moravec being a pianist of global calibre. Repertoire magazine referred to him as the most closely guarded secret of the classical music world. The 90th anniversary of Ivan Moravecs birth is a very good reason to for come up with a special project. The most complete collection of his recordings to date, the present Supraphon release encompasses 11 albums and a documentary and unique, previously unseen footage from the Czech Television archives. Moravec recorded his core repertoire for the Connoisseur Society, Supraphon, Dorian, Nonesuch and Vox labels. Some of his recordings are now being released on album for the first time. A number of older recordings have been remastered from the original analogue tapes. The set includes the complete Moravec repertoire of Beethoven, Schumann, Debussy, solo Franck, Janácek and Chopins Mazurkas. The booklet provides an exhaustive account of one of the greatest 20th-century pianists artistic development, from the early 1960s to the end of the millennium. Most significantly, the release affords the listener the opportunity to revel in the music that due to its sheer profundity, myriad colour shades and irresistibly personal delivery touches ones very heart. A portrait of a great artist.

barney

Re: Ivan Moravec

Post by barney » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:35 am

I have the Philips volume. You have mentioned Moravec often in this forum, Brian; we know you esteem him. I'll have to dig the CDs out and listen again.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:37 am

barney wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:35 am
I have the Philips volume. You have mentioned Moravec often in this forum, Brian; we know you esteem him. I'll have to dig the CDs out and listen again.
While I'm not a fan of his set of Chopin's Nocturnes (They simply lack the authority and clarity of Rubinstein.), his Debussy rivals Gieseking's for delicacy, and several other discs I have do make a favorable impression of his other Chopin, Mozart, Grieg and Prokofiev. Because he's not very well known in the West, his recordings are not brought up often here.

I plan on getting the above box while it's available.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:32 pm

That box ain't cheap here in Canada, over 100 looneys.
While Moravec plays with great sensitivity, he often doesn't play by the book, to my recollection.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:27 am

slofstra wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:32 pm
That box ain't cheap here in Canada, over 100 looneys.
While Moravec plays with great sensitivity, he often doesn't play by the book, to my recollection.
Yes, on Presto it's also quite expensive in American dollars. Right now on American amazon, it's listed for $63, but only if you're willing to wait until December for delivery!