Beethoven's early "Fifth"

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Beethoven's early "Fifth"

Post by Rach3 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:30 am

Beethoven’s earlier use of his 5th Symphony opening (?) ; I did not know. His brief Sonata in D major for Piano 4-Hands,Op.6:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzOqAM2tHkg

Handelian

Re: Beethoven's early "Fifth"

Post by Handelian » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:23 am

I don’t think the modulation was quite the same to my ear but it’s interesting. Of course Handel a great one for recycling material and Beethoven didn’t mind occasionally like the last movement of the Eroica. Composers had no conscience about recycling their own material but there was a big no-no about putting somebody else’s in

maestrob

Re: Beethoven's early "Fifth"

Post by maestrob » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:57 am

Handelian wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:23 am
I don’t think the modulation was quite the same to my ear but it’s interesting. Of course Handel a great one for recycling material and Beethoven didn’t mind occasionally like the last movement of the Eroica. Composers had no conscience about recycling their own material but there was a big no-no about putting somebody else’s in
Of course everyone here knows by now of Beethoven's Choral Fantasy, which turned out to be a study for the last movement of his Ninth Symphony. I remember it was first brought to public attention in 1962 by a recording with Rudolf Serkin on Columbia with Bernstein, and soon found it's way to the Vox label with Brendel and an RAI performance with Richter. Serkin later recorded the Choral Fantasy with Seiji Ozawa in 1983, but his 1962 performance with Bernstein has much more energy and I prefer it.

Premiered by Beethoven in 1808 in a concert that was ill-prepared and included a performance by the composer of his Fourth Piano Concerto, the Choral Fantasy fell apart in mid-performance and had to be re-started when Beethoven took a repeat and the orchestra didn't!