WQXR cd choices for November

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

WQXR cd choices for November

Post by Rach3 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:36 am

I have heard the maturing pianist Haefliger and have been very impressed.The Bartok 3rd, Ravel Left -Hand are two of my fav PC's of all, and the Amman sounds interesting , so may have to acquire even though I have other recordings of the Bartok,Ravel. As cello is my fav instrument after piano, and I have none of the works, the Villa-Lobos cd is even more attractive:

https://www.wqxr.org/story/latest-great ... mber-2020/

maestrob

Re: WQXR cd choices for November

Post by maestrob » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:05 am

Rach3 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:36 am
I have heard the maturing pianist Haefliger and have been very impressed.The Bartok 3rd, Ravel Left -Hand are two of my fav PC's of all, and the Amman sounds interesting , so may have to acquire even though I have other recordings of the Bartok,Ravel. As cello is my fav instrument after piano, and I have none of the works, the Villa-Lobos cd is even more attractive:

https://www.wqxr.org/story/latest-great ... mber-2020/
It should be noted that the Guardian gave a five-star review to Kolesnikov's ( a pianist we both follow) new Goldbergs, although they are not yet available for streaming anywhere I can find. Hopefully that will change in the near future.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:46 pm

I once had the pleasure of preparing Andreas Haefliger's piano for a concert, seems now like a long time ago. He was a very fine pianist if memory serves.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:23 am

Lance wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:46 pm
I once had the pleasure of preparing Andreas Haefliger's piano for a concert, seems now like a long time ago. He was a very fine pianist if memory serves.
It should be noted here that Andreas Haefliger, who studied here in New York at Juilliard, is the son of the illustrious tenor Ernst Haefliger, now sadly deceased. He recorded much Bach, Mozart and various lieder for DGG, and appeared on disc with both Bruno Walter (my personal favorite) Hans Rosbaud and Eugen Jochum in Mahler's Das Lied von der Erde. A magnificent talent, very under-appreciated here in the U. S. Both albums pictured below can be streamed on Amazon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Haefliger

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:42 am

maestrob wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:23 am
It should be noted here that Andreas Haefliger, who studied here in New York at Juilliard, is the son of the illustrious tenor Ernst Haefliger, now sadly deceased.
Thanks, I was not aware of that relationship.