Our First Britten Gloriana c/o DVD Netflix

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:27 pm

It was wonderful--very powerful--and just the way I like to see operas--great singing, acting, a traditional production and of course captions!

Netflix described it this way. Len

British mezzo-soprano Sarah Walker sings the lead role of Queen Elizabeth I in this memorable production of Benjamin Britten's "Gloriana," recorded live in 1984 at the London Coliseum. Based on Lytton Strachey's Elizabeth and Essex, the opera traces the tragic downfall of the charismatic Earl of Essex (Anthony Rolfe Johnson), who takes advantage of his position as the queen's favorite subject and ultimately brings about his own demise.

Here's another review:

This 1984 live English National Opera Gloriana is the first complete recording of the opera on DVD and could well be its earliest fully recorded performance. The first complete audio recording was made in 1992 by the Chorus and Orchestra of the Welsh National Opera/Charles Mackerras (Decca 4762593), while the first DVD to be released in 2006 was of Phyllida Lloyd’s film adaptation of the 1999 Opera North revival conducted by Paul Daniel (Opus Arte OA 0955D). The latter controversially cuts about one third of the opera and fuses performance and documentary. I refer you to my review for the details (see review).

Here from Arthaus we have the opera, the whole opera and nothing but the opera. Not just sitting you in the front stalls, however, as this DVD started life as a production for Channel 4 UK television directed by Derek Bailey. So there’s a fair mix of long shots taking in the stage set and court scene, the public spectacle, and close-ups, showing you the private emotions. Which is sensible because that’s what the opera is about, the conflict between the public persona of Elizabeth I as ruler and her private infatuation with the Earl of Essex.

For me the greatest strength of this performance is a then 37 year old Mark Elder’s magnificent realization of the orchestration. It has more edge than either Daniel or Mackerras. Elder’s slightly pacier approach is a contributory factor. His overall timing before curtain calls is 143:39 against Mackerras 148:13. I’ll give just three examples of Elder’s skill. Those trumpet fanfares in the first scene are both resplendent and gaudy, prepared and spontaneous. They’re also heard first and last in the distance. This gives perspective to the procession, difficult to achieve on a stage where width is generally more noticeable than depth. But they also give perspective, as the opera does, to a reign: the Queen’s progress is to come and depart.

In scene 2, when the Queen sings of being wedded to the realm, the horns and contrabassoon backcloth symbolize what a weary burden this is at the same time as her heroic song of duty. Later, when Essex enters (tr. 7 27:08 in continuous timing) Elder creates a Puccinian frisson of tremolando strings which should be matched by the ardour of Essex’s ‘Queen of my life’ (27:35) but isn’t quite. The recorded sound, only in stereo, has excellent clarity if the somewhat fluorescent brightness of early digital recording.

The camera can be an unforgiving eye. Little errors of detail you might miss just watching a stage performance can irritate on DVD replay. In the first scene the stage direction - on page 17 of the vocal score - is that Essex is wounded because he turns at the sound of the Queen’s trumpeters. Not here (tr. 3 8:17). He’s just wounded in the course of a fight in which Mountjoy, or maybe Neil Howlett playing him, is a more stylish fighter! Sarah Walker’s Queen is an aristocratic presence rather wryly amused by this quarrel. In it Mountjoy sings ‘I flaunted nothing, you intruded’ (tr. 3 11:10) but this stage production has him getting his page to bind the Queen’s favour on his arm having already acknowledged Essex. I prefer Phyllida Lloyd’s production which has Essex lurking in the shadows, then coming out to address Mountjoy. After their reconciliation the Queen signals them to rise (tr. 6, 15:22) which they do, before she sings ‘Rise’ (15:25).

The second scene finds the Queen addressing her political adviser Cecil as ‘my pygmy elf’ (tr. 7 21:50), an authentic term but here rather kettle calling the pot black as they’re both about the same height. Essex later refers to Cecil as ‘the hunchback fox’ (tr. 21 65:59), yet he appears to have no deformity here. Only in Act 2 does he take to sporting a stick! Again Phyllida Lloyd’s production is more fastidious in such details. A key moment in the present one’s second scene finds the Queen showing Cecil ‘this ring’ (tr. 7 22:09), signifying the realm to which she is wedded, only Sarah Walker doesn’t really make a point of showing it at all.

Now comes the intimate audience with Essex and his two lute-songs. Anthony Rolfe Johnson sings with directness, clarity, brightness and lightness of tone with well rounded, graceful melismata in the second song ‘Happy were he’. There’s a trivial mistake: he sings ‘In contemplation ending all his days’ (tr. 10 31:44) rather than ‘spending’. I only mention it because this is the opera’s best known song. As for the contemplative Queen, we see her careworn and serene by turns. Elizabeth and Essex’s first duet (tr. 11 34:40) seems a kind of decorous musing in which neither barely looks at the other. What stays in the memory is the steely resolution of Walker’s final soliloquy statement, ‘I live and reign a virgin, will die in honour’ (tr. 13 39:23) to the splendour and burden of that orchestral brass again, especially the trombones, before movingly sinking to her knees in prayer.

Time to consider some crucial points of comparison. Is Sarah Walker’s portrayal of the Queen as fine as Josephine Barstow’s in the other recordings? Not quite. She gives an accomplished performance but Barstow stands apart more from the court and seems totally identified with the role. Being a soprano, for which voice Britten wrote it, helps. Her upper register has more density and, where appropriate, lightness and there’s more evenness across her range than Walker’s mezzo’s inevitably more regal lower register. Tom Randle is a more vibrant and sympathetic Essex than Rolfe Johnson. He has more ardour, energy and in the lute-songs subtlety and variation of delivery. There’s also an evident chemistry between him and Barstow in the duet. On the other hand Daniel’s orchestral backcloth seems in comparison more atmospheric than the third figure in the drama that Elder makes it.

In my earlier review I referred to ages of the cast in relation to those of the historical characters so it’s pertinent to do the same here. Elizabeth was actually 66, twice Essex’s age, when she sent him to Ireland. This puts a different perspective on their relationship, from both sides. With Barstow 59 and Randle 41 the age difference is more appropriate than Walker at 39 and Rolfe Johnson 44. To put it crudely, she’s too young and he’s too old. On the other hand, Van Allan at 49 is an excellent match for a Raleigh of 47, better than Bayley’s 39.

Act 2 Scene 1, the Queen’s visit to Norwich, is her happiest time in the opera. All finery and floral decoration. Mutual affection of Queen and subjects and those six choral dances, brilliantly written in an updated madrigal style for semi-chorus. The fast peal of the first, ‘Yes, he is Time’ (tr. 15 47:42) is formidably realized here. The third, ‘From springs of bounty’ (tr. 17 51:53) is also very quickly despatched given the marking ‘Gracefully swaying’ but its continual echoes between female and male voices are refreshingly revealed. The proceedings are directed by a fresh-voiced Adrian Martin as Spirit of the Masque, albeit he doesn’t have the poise and grace of John Mark Ainsley in the Mackerras audio recording.

In this DVD both the spectacle and symbolism of the dance strike home. Time as a dancer holds centre stage, then Concord, his loving wife. They join in an idyllic interlude of stillness, ‘each needeth each’ (tr. 16 50:50). The inference being Elizabeth isn’t complete without Essex and vice versa. In giving thanks Sarah Walker comfortably rises to her highest note in the opera, B flat (tr. 19 58:23) before the opera’s mantra, ‘O crowned rose’, appears in its most ecstatic, dazzling version (59:18).

Act 2 Scene 2 finds the all purpose set cleverly draped to become the garden of Essex’s house. Mountjoy and Lady Rich have an adulterous love duet, one step beyond that of Elizabeth and Essex. Joined by Essex and Lady Essex a plot begins to unfold in ensemble. Seeing this is more sinister than just hearing it. And you feel sympathy for Lady Essex who’s all the time in a minority of one in urging caution.

And it’s she who’s the victim in Act 2 Scene 3, the Whitehall ball. Essex decks her out in an outstanding gown. A step too far for Elizabeth, who steals it and puts it on to deride it and Lady Essex. But the gown in question isn’t the dazzling vermilion of Phyllida Lloyd’s production but only the pinkish hue of Colin Graham’s. Lady Essex’s plain dress isn’t markedly different. And on the Queen the gaudy one doesn’t noticeably appear, as she sings ‘too short’ (tr. 30 79:11). Nor are the general pauses in the score at 80:37, 42, 50 and 54 sufficiently marked to clarify what’s intended to be the Queen’s grotesque, halting exit, though the heavy brass venom is notable.

The dances themselves are very naturally played. The dancers fill the stage munificently. Essex, Mountjoy and their ladies lead the galliard, Elizabeth the lavolta. The morris dancer (tr. 28 77:10) doesn’t have ‘his face blackened’ (vocal score, p. 133) but whitened. I suppose more PC, even in 1984. Lively goosing, as well as some silky movement, in this from Robert Huguenin whom Britten buffs will recall as the original Tadzio in Death in Venice.

As in the first scene of Act 2, that of Act 3 has an echo chorus but this time it’s a fractious crack of dawn rumour exchanged between sopranos and contraltos as the Maids of Honour debate ‘What news from Ireland?’. Even with a combination of wide stage-shot and close-ups it’s pretty static here and Phyllida Lloyd was right to have swift panning and a claustrophobic dim lit environment. Essex is most distraught in Rolfe Johnson’s movingly emotive ‘forgive me’ (tr. 36 95:27). Walker’s Elizabeth caught nearly half dressed actually looks not weaker but harder and more resolute, so their second duet is bitter, the recall of their first with ‘Happy were we’ (tr. 36 100: 39) frozen in sorrow. Barstow and Randle make this a more beauteous, reflective elegy. Phyllida Lloyd makes better use than Colin Graham of the dressing-table song to adorn and prettify a Queen barely out of bed. What’s more striking in the present DVD is the energy of the orchestral accompaniment to Cecil’s report and the vehemence with which it backs the Queen’s decision to place Essex under guard.

It’s interesting to compare Act 3 Scene 2 in this DVD and the Mackerras CD. This scene relates the news of Essex’s escape and failed attempt at rebellion through the perspective of a group of old men outside a tavern in the City and a Blind Ballad Singer with gittern player who gets most of his news from a boy runner. On the CD Willard White as the Beggar has a richer, more velvety voice and more smilingly philosophical objectivity which extends to the roundedness of the response of the men’s chorus, but the rabble Essex boys are rather polite. Mackerras’s orchestra is lively but not as graphically so as Elder’s, whose timing for this scene is 9:35 against Mackerras 10:35. For Elder, Norman Bailey’s Beggar has more character with a somewhat more gnarled voice. The fellow feeling with the men’s chorus is less clear as they’re rather posh in attire but there is one telling visual image: the march past of the Essex boys, an army without arms and almost without clothing let alone armour, no threat to anyone.

In the final scene starkness is all. Everyone largely in black as if already in mourning for the condemned Essex. The tension boils over with the councillors in great alarm when Cecil suggests the Queen might pardon Essex. The Queen’s dilemma, ‘I love and yet am forced to seem to hate’, is movingly presented in soliloquy with unpitying directness by a pallid Sarah Walker (tr. 43 126:36). The trio of pleading Mountjoy, Lady Essex and Lady Rich (tr. 44 128:05), musically very severe because of the rich tone of the mezzo Lady Essex, is vividly gaunt when all kneel before the anguished Queen in view, singing what we know from her soliloquy are her thoughts as well as theirs. It’s Lady Rich who has the top C ‘Ah’ (tr. 45 134:28) when Elizabeth has signed the death warrant, but the Queen appears simultaneously to be letting out a silent heart-wrenching sigh.

Time to sum up and it’s difficult. If you’re looking to make a first purchase of Gloriana this should be your choice as it’s the closest recorded representation of the full operatic experience. But there are times, as I’ve indicated, when the other recordings offer a finer interpretation.

Michael Greenhalgh

maestrob

Re: Our First Britten Gloriana c/o DVD Netflix

Post by maestrob » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:16 am

Not familiar with this opera, Len. Looks like I should get this 1984 DVD, though. Thanks! :D

Of course, I admire Peter Grimes, Billy Budd, Death in Venice (which I attended the American premiere with Peter Pears led by Stuart Bedford at the MET in 1975), and yes, even Paul Bunyan, which I first saw in a NYCO student outreach performance downtown starring a tenor I was working with in my competition. There were also Juilliard productions of Midsummer Night's Dream and Rape of Lucretia that were quite good, IIRC, but I never bought CDs of them.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:10 am

maestrob wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:16 am
I admire Peter Grimes, Billy Budd, Death in Venice ...Paul Bunyan... Midsummer Night's Dream and Rape of Lucretia
Brian we've never seen or heard Death In Venice-it's available-I should go for it-have never seen Bunyan or Midsummer Night's Dream--as for Rape of Lucretia I believe we saw it at NYCO-I remember not liking their production but I should give the opera another try sometime. Regards, Len

BTW I checked my hallmark date book for April 2003 and Sue and I saw it April 22 along with John F and a few other friends-here's how Tommasini saw it-he was in the audience too unbeknownst to me.

CITY OPERA REVIEW; Alas, Lucretia, Ravished On an Edwardian Sofa

By Anthony Tommasini

April 22, 2003

The challenges of mounting a new production at the New York City Opera are much eased when the production can first be rehearsed and presented under ideal summer festival conditions at its affiliate company, the Glimmerglass Opera in Cooperstown, N.Y. The problem is that Glimmerglass has an ideally intimate 900-seat auditorium, while the 2,700-seat New York State Theater is anything but ideal.

So those who attended the director Christopher Alden's production of Britten's 1946 chamber opera ''The Rape of Lucretia'' at Glimmerglass in 2001 will have to put the impact it had there out of their minds in order to savor the City Opera's premiere of that production, which opened on Sunday afternoon. Still, this alluring and disturbing work for eight solo singers, scored with an ingenious sense of instrumental color for an orchestra of 13, does not turn up that often, especially in a production as imaginative as this one.

Britten and his librettist Ronald Duncan turn the story of the Roman general Collatinus's loving wife, Lucretia, who is raped by the brutal Etruscan prince Tarquinius, into an interior psychological drama. The opera is essentially dominated by two singers who, in the manner of Greek tragedy, are called the Male Chorus and the Female Chorus. As originally conceived, they stand apart from the action and serve as narrators and commentators.
Cooking: Daily inspiration, delicious recipes and other updates from Sam Sifton and NYT Cooking.

Mr. Alden eliminates that distancing device by portraying the Male Chorus (Michael Hendrick, a bright-voiced tenor) and the Female Chorus (Orla Boylan, a vibrant soprano in a solid company debut) into an Edwardian-era British couple who sit at home on their leather couch and nightly recount the grim story as a cautionary tale with a moralizing Christian spin.

The set by Paul Steinberg, who also designed the modern-dress costumes, is just two huge, stark movable walls: one showing the musty wallpapered interior of the couple's sitting room, the other suggesting the yellowish stone wall of an ancient Roman building. But the Romans' characters intrude upon the space of the Male and Female Chorus, who seem possessed by Lucretia's story. Even the rape, described by the couple in horrific but obliquely poetic language, is enacted not in her bedroom but on the couple's couch, as Tarquinius, leering at the unsuspecting Lucretia, nestles closer and then finally pounces.

Gift Subscriptions to The Times, Cooking and Games.

Starting at $25.

Tarquinius's sexual brutality is less evident in the stage action than in Britten's powerfully ambiguous music, which makes even lulling tonal tunes and wispy harp figurations seem suspect. But the baritone Mel Ulrich, tall, lean, buffed and bald, viscerally conveyed Tarquinius's twisted nature in his vocally virile and physically daring portrayal. In the first scene, taunting the Roman general Junius (the vulnerable baritone Andrew Schroeder), whose wife has strayed while he was away, Tarquinius homoerotically ensnares the demoralized husband's arms in the sleeves of his unbuttoned shirt.

At the end of Act I you see how much Tarquinius's strutting sexuality pervades the lives of the Male and Female Chorus, when the bare-chested Mr. Ulrich sits himself ominously between the couple on their couch and starts groping his crotch as the lights go dark.

As Lucretia, the Finish mezzo-soprano Monica Groop, in her City Opera debut, sang with dusky-toned expressivity and captured the restless longing of the woman for her stalwart husband, here the poignant baritone Sanford Sylvan in a portrayal that conveyed the hamstrung general's decency. There were also strong performances from the bright-voiced soprano Lauren Skuce and the powerhouse contralto Myrna Paris as Lucretia's servants. Daniel Beckwith conducted a surely paced and sensitive account of Britten's haunting score. If only we could have heard those details more intimately.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:33 am

Brian we've never seen or heard Death In Venice-it's available-I should go for it
Death in Venice has a very odd story line, based on the book pictured below, written by Thomas Mann in 1912. You may want to investigate the story a bit before watching the opera. Britten's skillful orchestration is replete with a full compliment of percussion, which is used to great effect in the opening of Act II, harkening back to his great ballet, The Prince of the Pagodas, which can also be streamed on amazon if you're interested. I remember being quite overwhelmed by the orchestra, sitting in the front row of the ground-level seats. I had never heard anything like the opening to Act II before, and at the tender age of 25 was quite blown away by the sonorities generated by the chimes and bells. Peter Pears, for whom Britten wrote the opera, was just right for the role at the time. Brilliant!

Rape of Lucretia worked quite well in the more intimate Juilliard theater. I can't imagine it conceived for such a large space as the David H. Koch theater in Lincoln Center, frankly.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:50 am

maestrob wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:33 am
You may want to investigate the story a bit before watching the opera.
Brian thanks, I'll look into some of this-we'll have the whole winter as we honker down as much as we can. Regards, Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:40 pm

lennygoran wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:50 am
maestrob wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:33 am
You may want to investigate the story a bit before watching the opera.
Brian thanks, I'll look into some of this-we'll have the whole winter as we honker down as much as we can. Regards, Len

Len, I just found this 2-disc set on amazon that includes an orchestral suite from Death in Venice conducted by the maestro who led the premiere that I saw at the MET, Stuart Bedford. It runs about 26 minutes, and the other works are also brilliantly done, if you're interested. You can find it for streaming by selecting the "CDs and vinyl" category, then searching for Death in Venice and scrolling down until you see this cover. Remarkably beautiful and shimmering orchestration:

barney

Post by barney » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:28 pm

This set may still be available, excellent performances of the works you are discussing.

Britten complete operas vol II (10 CDs)
A Midsummer Night’s Dream: Alfred Deller counter-ten, Elizabeth Harwood sop, Stephen Terry ten, John Shirley Quirk bar, Helen Watts cont, Peter Pears ten, Josephine Veasey mezzo, Heather Harper sop, Owen Brannigan bass, London Symphony Orchestra, Benjamin Britten. 1966
Phaedra: Janet Baker mezzo, English Chamber Orchestra, Steuart Bedford. 1977
The Rape of Lucretia: Peter Pears ten, Heather Harper sop, John Shirley Quirk bar, Benjamin Luxon bar, Owen Brannigan bass, Janet Baker mezzo, Bryan Drake bar, English Chamber Orchestra, Benjamin Britten. 1971
The Turn of the Screw: Peter Pears ten, Jennifer Vyvyan sop, David Hemmings treble, Olive Dyer sop, Joan Cross mezzo, Arda Mandikian sop, English Opera Group Orchestra, Benjamin Britten. 1955
Death in Venice: Peter Pears ten, John Shirley Quirk bar, James Bowman counter-ten, Kenneth Bowen ten, English Opera Group, English Chamber Orchestra, Steuart Bedford. 1974
Gloriana: Josephine Barstow sop, Philip Langridge ten, Della Jones mezzo, Jonathan Summers bar, Yvonne Kenny sop, Richard van Allan bass, Bryn Terfel ten, John Mark Ainsley ten, Alan Opie bar, Orchestra and Chorus of the Welsh National Opera, Charles Mackerras. 1993
Decca 475 6029

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:11 am

maestrob wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:40 pm

Len, I just found this 2-disc set on amazon that includes an orchestral suite from Death in Venice conducted by the maestro who led the premiere that I saw at the MET, Stuart Bedford. It runs about 26 minutes,
Brian thanks-I found this on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGk4Dzy_lO8

Steuart Bedford--Conductor
English Chamber Orchestra
Music in this video
Learn more
Song
Suite from Death in Venice, Op. 88 (arr. S. Bedford for orchestra)
Artist
Steuart Bedford
Album
Britten: Symphony for Cello and Orchestra / Suite From Death in Venice
Licensed to YouTube by
NaxosofAmerica (on behalf of Chandos)

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:29 am

lennygoran wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:11 am
maestrob wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:40 pm

Len, I just found this 2-disc set on amazon that includes an orchestral suite from Death in Venice conducted by the maestro who led the premiere that I saw at the MET, Stuart Bedford. It runs about 26 minutes,
Brian thanks-I found this on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGk4Dzy_lO8

Steuart Bedford--Conductor
English Chamber Orchestra
Music in this video
Learn more
Song
Suite from Death in Venice, Op. 88 (arr. S. Bedford for orchestra)
Artist
Steuart Bedford
Album
Britten: Symphony for Cello and Orchestra / Suite From Death in Venice
Licensed to YouTube by
NaxosofAmerica (on behalf of Chandos)

Interesting that it's posted by Naxos "on behalf of Chandos." I wonder what their relationship is?

Anyway, enjoy! :wink:

AND Happy New Year to both you and Sue! :D

THEHORN

Post by THEHORN » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:09 pm

Yes, I've sen the DVD of Gloriana, also on Netflix, and enjoyed it very much . It's a really good opera that deserves to be better known. But unfortunately, the premiere in London was a critical flop , and was rather unfavorably received , which caused Britten a lot of Tsuris , and the opera was neglected in London and the rest of the opera world for a very long time untifairly recently .
I've also heard the CD recording conducted by the late Sr Charles Mackerras, and also admired this performance .

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:15 am

THEHORN wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:09 pm
Yes, I've sen the DVD of Gloriana, also on Netflix, and enjoyed it very much . It's a really good opera that deserves to be better known. But unfortunately, the premiere in London was a critical flop , and was rather unfavorably received , which caused Britten a lot of Tsuris , and the opera was neglected in London and the rest of the opera world for a very long time untifairly recently .
I've also heard the CD recording conducted by the late Sr Charles Mackerras, and also admired this performance .
Good morning, Robert, and Happy New Year! :D

Looks like I'll have to investigate Gloriana further! The DVD looks interesting, and I'll have to investigate the Mackerras recording with the Welsh National Opera further as well, as I see it's available for streaming on Amazon. There is at least one used hard copy for $5.95, which is quite tempting!

I also wanted to thank you for turning me towards Gergiev's Rimsky-Korsakov opera recordings, as I've found that they are available in a box for $45.00, all five of them. Been listening to them and enjoying them a great deal. The orchestra sounds better in these remasterings than I remember as well from my set of Tsar's Bride. I plan to order the box very soon. The four others are quite different from Tsar's Bride, more through-composed, so the interruptions in streaming from each track change are annoying, but the music is quite wonderful.

It's never too late to learn! :wink:

Be safe and stay well.

THEHORN

Post by THEHORN » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:40 pm

Thanks, Maestrob ! Hoary new year to you too !