Pianist Igor Levit on 60 Minutes

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Ricordanza

Pianist Igor Levit on 60 Minutes

Post by Ricordanza » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:38 am

Here's a link to last night's broadcast:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/igor-levit ... 021-01-03/

maestrob

Re: Pianist Igor Levit on 60 Minutes

Post by maestrob » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:28 am

Ricordanza wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:38 am

Thanks, Ricordanza, and good morning! That was a wonderful segment. I'm delighted to see a classical musician finding so many followers nowadays, but am also extremely disturbed at the antisemitism that's rearing its ugly head again in Germany. This is not where we discuss politics, so I'll save further comment for the Pub, but death threats are simply beyond the pale.

I still remember the protests that used to accompany Sviatoslav Richter's appearances here, but that was for entirely different reasons.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:29 am

Ricordanza wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:38 am

Hank great-I always tape 60 minutes on the DVR so I'll be watching this! Regards, Len

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:56 am

I have Levit's brand new Sony 2-CD set [78657] entitled "Encounter." What we have here is the Busoni arrangement of JS Bach's ten Chorale Preludes; Busoni's arrangement of Brahms' eight Chorale Preludes; Reger's arrangement of Brahms' Vier ernste Gesange [Four Serious Songs], Julian Becker's arrangement of Max Reger's Nachtlied [Night Song], and finally Morton Feldman's Palais de Mari.

The playing, as you would expect, is outstanding, well recorded on a very fine piano. What was most interesting about this release is the booklet notes written by Anselm Cybinski, which takes on a spiritual path through this music ... a very interesting idea in how complete and thought-provoking it is.

The inlay tag: "Sounds that give strength, discoveries that lead to stillness: Igor Levit's very personal collection of works stages encounters between people and time, heaven and earth." [That should raise your interest!] •
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:58 am

Lance wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:56 am
I have Levit's brand new Sony 2-CD set [78657] entitled "Encounter." What we have here is the Busoni arrangement of JS Bach's ten Chorale Preludes; Busoni's arrangement of Brahms' eight Chorale Preludes; Reger's arrangement of Brahms' Vier ernste Gesange [Four Serious Songs], Julian Becker's arrangement of Max Reger's Nachtlied [Night Song], and finally Morton Feldman's Palais de Mari.

The playing, as you would expect, is outstanding, well recorded on a very fine piano. What was most interesting about this release is the booklet notes written by Anselm Cybinski, which takes on a spiritual path through this music ... a very interesting idea in how complete and thought-provoking it is.

The inlay tag: "Sounds that give strength, discoveries that lead to stillness: Igor Levit's very personal collection of works stages encounters between people and time, heaven and earth." [That should raise your interest!] •
Lance, that sounds interesting, and I have that queued up on amazon for listening this morning. Thank-you!

Levit has become quite a cult figure these days. I noticed this morning that 282 reviewers have awarded his Beethoven Sonatas 5 stars! Extraordinary, and I congratulate him, not just for that, but for reaching out to his audience in so many ways during the pandemic. His political stance in Germany is also wonderfully courageous.

His generosity of spirit as a musician and as a human being should be rewarded with great success in his career.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:45 am

maestrob wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:58 am
Levit has become quite a cult figure these days.
Brian I finally watched that 60 minutes segment-very interesting about a pianist I had never heard of-his being threatened by nazis couldn't help but remind me of what's been going on here for the last few days. I won't say any more about it in this part of the CMG forum. Regards, Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:51 am

lennygoran wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:45 am
maestrob wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:58 am
Levit has become quite a cult figure these days.
Brian I finally watched that 60 minutes segment-very interesting about a pianist I had never heard of-his being threatened by nazis couldn't help but remind me of what's been going on here for the last few days. I won't say any more about it in this part of the CMG forum. Regards, Len
Yes, indeed! Death threats from Neo-Nazis seem to be par for the course these days. :mrgreen: