Mieczysław Weinberg's Sinfonietta No. 1

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Modernistfan

Mieczysław Weinberg's Sinfonietta No. 1

Post by Modernistfan » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:50 am

Last night, I listened to Mieczysław Weinberg's Sinfonietta No. 1. What a fun piece! It is remarkable that, in 1948, he was able to sneak this extremely Yiddish (klezmer)-sounding piece past the commissars. This piece is on Chandos 10128 with the Polish Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Gabriel Chmura.

maestrob

Re: Mieczysław Weinberg's Sinfonietta No. 1

Post by maestrob » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:56 am

Modernistfan wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:50 am
Last night, I listened to Mieczysław Weinberg's Sinfonietta No. 1. What a fun piece! It is remarkable that, in 1948, he was able to sneak this extremely Yiddish (klezmer)-sounding piece past the commissars. This piece is on Chandos 10128 with the Polish Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Gabriel Chmura.
I do enjoy Weinberg's (sometimes transliterated from the Russian alphabet as "Vainberg") music a great deal, and acquired this 2CD release from DGG when it was issued just before the pandemic last year. Glad to see him being recorded now and gaining a wider audience at last. It's now available for streaming on amazon, if you're curious.

Modernistfan

Post by Modernistfan » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:29 pm

I have that 2-CD set. Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla is a huge Weinberg fan and may well record more of his music. Symphony No. 21 is subtitled "Kaddish" (the Jewish memorial prayer for the dead), and is written in honor of the victims of the Warsaw Ghetto. Weinberg's own parents were deported from Warsaw and are believed to have perished in the camp at Trawniki.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:10 pm

Modernistfan wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:29 pm
I have that 2-CD set. Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla is a huge Weinberg fan and may well record more of his music. Symphony No. 21 is subtitled "Kaddish" (the Jewish memorial prayer for the dead), and is written in honor of the victims of the Warsaw Ghetto. Weinberg's own parents were deported from Warsaw and are believed to have perished in the camp at Trawniki.
Never forget.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:35 pm

Thanks for this.

I do not have any of his symphonies , but after listening to other works, did purchase recordings of his Op.43 Cello Concerto, 9th String Quartet, and 3rd Piano Sonata. All at YT I think.Fww.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:12 am

Rach3 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:35 pm
Thanks for this.

I do not have any of his symphonies , but after listening to other works, did purchase recordings of his Op.43 Cello Concerto, 9th String Quartet, and 3rd Piano Sonata. All at YT I think.Fww.
Bravo!

How about posting some covers, or maybe some links, whenever you get around to it?

You probably know that Weinberg and Shostakovich were long-time friends and colleagues, but here's an interesting webpage on the subject that includes a video link with a lecture and concert:

https://www.yivo.org/Shostakovich-and-W ... ationship.

Modernistfan

Post by Modernistfan » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:59 am

Another work of Weinberg in much the same idiom as the Sinfonietta No. 1 is his Rhapsody on Moldavian Themes (1949). Again, this work is very klezmer-sounding; no surprise, as Moldavia, where much of Weinberg's family originated (and also from where much of my mother's side of my family was originally from) was a hotbed of klezmer music. Apparently, the commissars did not quite catch on, and he managed to sneak it through during a period of substantial antisemitism in the Soviet Union.

Modernistfan

Post by Modernistfan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:21 pm

Well, as Wednesday is International Holocaust Remembrance Day, I have requested my local classical station, KUSC, to play the Weinberg Sinfonietta No. 1. The work is relatively light, clearly tonal and even hummable, and does not in itself make reference to the Holocaust. The connection is that Weinberg lost most of his family, including his parents and his sister, to the Holocaust. (I would unfortunately place a large bet, however, that the station will not play that work or anything associated in any way, directly or indirectly, with the Holocaust on Wednesday.)