Remembering pianist Jean Casadesus, Jan. 20

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Remembering pianist Jean Casadesus, Jan. 20

Post by Lance » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:31 pm

Pianist Jean Casadesus was Artist- in-residence at Binghamton University, Binghamton NY - the son of pianists Robert and Gaby Casadesus. Jean was killed in an auto accident in Renfrew, Ontario on January 20th, 1972 while concertizing. He was only 44. I was privileged to know the family and Jean's daughter, who also died prematurely, but especially Gaby who was a gem and warm-hearted person. I was able to interview Jean's wife for a radio broadcast shortly after his passing. Ah, such memories!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

barney

Re: Remembering pianist Jean Casadesus, Jan. 20

Post by barney » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:00 pm

Lance wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:31 pm
Jean was killed in an auto accident in Renfrew, Ontario on January 20th, 1972 while concertizing.
Sorry to point this out Lance, but he shouldn't have been playing the piano while driving.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:20 pm

My good fortune ( I was 19 ) to have been in this audience in Minneapolis to hear the Casadesus family.

The concert took place on November 24, 1967, Northrup Auditorium on the campus of the University of Minnesota,with Stanislaw Skrowaczewski conducting the Minnesota Orchestra. Program:

Bach Concerto No. 2 in C major for Two Claviers & String Orchestra (Robert and Gaby)
Casadesus Concerto for Three Pianos & Strings Orchestra (Robert,Gaby, and Jean)
Intermission
Mozart Concerto in F major for Three Pianos & Orchestra (Robert,Gaby, and Jean)
Grieg Selections from Peer Gynt

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:26 am

One of the more interesting CDs in my collection is this one, which contains Henri Casadesus' Viola Concerto in the Style of Handel, played by William Primrose:

Wonderful that you knew the family, Lance.

I imagine that you've already acquired his French Columbia releases in this box that came out in 2019:

Last edited by maestrob on Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:59 pm

I see, Barney. As you would suspect, he was concertizing in Canada driving between concerts when the accident occurred. How important the order of words is! :)
barney wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:00 pm
Lance wrote:
Jean was killed in an auto accident in Renfrew, Ontario on January 20th, 1972 while concertizing.
Sorry to point this out Lance, but he shouldn't have been playing the piano while driving.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:24 pm

Yes, I always enjoyed the Casadesus family. The Viola Concerto, however, is by HENRI Casadesus. Robert did, however, write quite a bit of music.
maestrob wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:26 am

One of the more interesting CDs in my collection is this one, which contains Robert Casadesus' Viola Concerto in the Style of Handel, played by William Primrose:

Wonderful that you knew the family, Lance.

I imagine that you've already acquired his French Columbia releases in this box that came out in 2019:

Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:47 am

Yes, I always enjoyed the Casadesus family. The Viola Concerto, however, is by HENRI Casadesus. Robert did, however, write quite a bit of music.
:oops:

Another senior moment!!

Thanks for spotting that, Lance. :wink: I've corrected the my post.

mikealdren

Post by mikealdren » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:58 pm

and it was Henri's brother, Marius, who wrote the 'Mozart Adelaide' concerto that Menuhin premiered and recorded as Mozart.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:45 pm

Lance wrote:
Pianist Jean Casadesus was Artist- in-residence at Binghamton University, Binghamton NY - the son of pianists Robert and Gaby Casadesus. Jean was killed in an auto accident in Renfrew, Ontario on January 20th, 1972 while concertizing. He was only 44. I was privileged to know the family and Jean's daughter, who also died prematurely, but especially Gaby who was a gem and warm-hearted person. I was able to interview Jean's wife for a radio broadcast shortly after his passing. Ah, such memories!
I learned this today from Wiki's page on Robert Casadesus:
Per live interview ca. 1970 of Robert Casadesus by announcer Bill Agee of KKHI-AM-FM San Francisco during a live San Francisco Symphony concert, Mr. Casadesus indicated that he pronounced his name as it is pronounced in Spanish, Kah-sah-deh'sus, final s pronounced.
Just from curiosity, Lance, do you recall if the whole family preferred to pronounce their name this way, or did they drop the "s" at the end, as in "Casadesoo"?

I do have the Columbia mega-box of his complete recordings (excepting the early French ones) but haven't yet opened it. :oops:

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:07 pm

maestrob wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:45 pm
Lance wrote:
I learned this today from Wiki's page on Robert Casadesus:
Per live interview ca. 1970 of Robert Casadesus by announcer Bill Agee of KKHI-AM-FM San Francisco during a live San Francisco Symphony concert, Mr. Casadesus indicated that he pronounced his name as it is pronounced in Spanish, Kah-sah-deh'sus, final s pronounced.
Just from curiosity, Lance, do you recall if the whole family preferred to pronounce their name this way, or did they drop the "s" at the end, as in "Casadesoo"?

I do have the Columbia mega-box of his complete recordings (excepting the early French ones) but haven't yet opened it. :oops:
And is the emphasis placed on the “deh” or on the “sus” ?