Sokolov Interview

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Holden Fourth

Sokolov Interview

Post by Holden Fourth » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:45 am

This interview with one of my favourite pianists is probably the best interview with a public performer I've ever watched. The interviewer has definitely done her homework (and maybe gave Sokolov a list of the questions prior) There is nothing inane or banal. These are searching questions (but not provocative) phrased in a way to get the interviewee to really open up.

For all fans of Sokolov this is a must watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO2o2ARWk2U

maestrob

Re: Sokolov Interview

Post by maestrob » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:29 am

Holden Fourth wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:45 am
This interview with one of my favourite pianists is probably the best interview with a public performer I've ever watched. The interviewer has definitely done her homework (and maybe gave Sokolov a list of the questions prior) There is nothing inane or banal. These are searching questions (but not provocative) phrased in a way to get the interviewee to really open up.

For all fans of Sokolov this is a must watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO2o2ARWk2U
Thank you, Holden. I am indeed a Sokolov fan, and this is now on my agenda for today. :D

mikealdren

Post by mikealdren » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:29 am

Very interesting, some amazing playing from an incredibly self-absorbed man.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:30 am

mikealdren wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:29 am
Agreed. I got the same impression. Thankfully, not all the greats are like that.

Still, Sokolov can make incredible music, although I don't always agree with him. I've been really blown away many times.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:19 pm

maestrob wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:30 am
Still, Sokolov can make incredible music, although I don't always agree with him...
Same here, more often disagree, but can recommend his live Prokofiev 7th Sonata at YT, especially the darkened last mov. “Precipitato”.

mikealdren

Post by mikealdren » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:44 am

maestrob wrote:
mikealdren wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:29 am
Agreed. I got the same impression. Thankfully, not all the greats are like that.

Still, Sokolov can make incredible music, although I don't always agree with him. I've been really blown away many times.
Yes, youtube directed me to a documentary about Perlman after Sokolov. Hard to imaging a greater contrast in personalities, not least where Sokolov worries about teaching negatively affecting his own playing an Perlman saying how much it can help his playing.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:33 am

Rach3 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:19 pm
maestrob wrote:
Still, Sokolov can make incredible music, although I don't always agree with him...
Same here, more often disagree, but can recommend his live Prokofiev 7th Sonata at YT, especially the darkened last mov. “Precipitato”.
I'm really glad that's on youtube. I was gifted a DVD of that complete recital, and I return to it often.

Sokolov is such an individual talent, and he has been extremely selective about what is released, usually live recordings. There is a Rachmaninoff III from Salzburg (DGG) that is quite simply astounding as well. I have a 10CD box that was issued several years back that contains many gems, but his Bach and Brahms were, I found, quite harsh. His Chopin Preludes, though, flow so naturally and easily, it's like breathing: no effort, but immensely rewarding. Like every great artist, he has his limitations.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:28 am

Rach3 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:19 pm
Forgot the link. Here is Sokolov's "Precipitato". Must-see TV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwji3k0v_AM

barney

Post by barney » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:48 pm

I am a huge fan of Sokolov. He is a true individualist, like Richter or Gould and not every nuance works for me, but his willingness to explore, his incredible intensity, his delicacy are so striking. Last night I watched him play the first of the D899 Schubert impromptus, and he started in a way I had never heard before but which worked. Just tiny changes of emphasis.

I have yet to watch the documentary, but it's on the list.