Opinions sought on Michael Haydn's symphonies.

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Seán

Opinions sought on Michael Haydn's symphonies.

Post by Seán » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:59 am

Hello, I am wondering if CMG members spend time listening to Michael Haydn's symphonies? I do not have any recordings of his music in my collection and he rarely gets a mention on CMG.
jpc have several CDs of his music for sale. These works are performed by a variety of different ensembles, mainly the Slovak Chamber Orchestra and the Deutsche Kammerakademie Neuss and they are both on the CPO label.
I do like what I have heard so far however, they are mere snippets, but I am wondering what you make of his symphonies? Is there a 'sameness about them' or are they worth exploring further and worth listening to?
I am aware that there appears to be two different numbering conventions used too, which is a bit confusing to a newbie like me. :)
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

maestrob

Re: Opinions sought on Michael Haydn's symphonies.

Post by maestrob » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:13 pm

Sean, I've never analyzed Michael Haydn's symphonies, but find them very enjoyable all the same, even if they are not as truly inventive as "Papa" Haydn's were.

Am also fond of Johann Christian Bach's oeuvre from the same era.

Have you thought about acquiring this abundant 28CD collection from Brilliant Classics of Michael Haydn's best works?

Seán

Post by Seán » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:12 pm

maestrob wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:13 pm
Sean, I've never analyzed Michael Haydn's symphonies, but find them very enjoyable all the same, even if they are not as truly inventive as "Papa" Haydn's were.

Am also fond of Johann Christian Bach's oeuvre from the same era.

Have you thought about acquiring this abundant 28CD collection from Brilliant Classics of Michael Haydn's best works?

Thanks Brian, yes, I had considered getting it but I'm not sure if I want another box set like that and for now I am mainly interested in his orchestral works. I am not familiar with the performers either.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

barney

Post by barney » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:46 pm

The Michael Haydn I've heard I've liked. Sorry to say, it's not a great deal. I've got a violin concerto, a trumpet concerto, a cantata, an interesting concertante for viola and organ and a notturno. Hence, only in a position to give a most general recommendation.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:19 am

I, too, have not given the attention to Michael Haydn's work very much though, like Barney, I have some of his compositions on discs, but not his symphonic works. His older brother's work, however, has maintained a very prominent place in my musical interests. Nonetheless, it appears as though Michael created a great deal of music during his lifetime. So far, the Brilliant box set of 28 CDs looks like the most interesting to get the bigger picture and Brilliant licensed many of those recordings from other labels, many of which have been given very good reviews. Seán's post has piqued my interest now in this younger Haydn's work. I may fully investigate the Brilliant boxed set at some point soon. The Haydn family must have had very good musical genes to be so productive. Will we all have time in our lives to hear all the music we might like to hear in our lifetimes? :(
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

barney

Post by barney » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:57 am

Lance wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:19 am
Will we all have time in our lives to hear all the music we might like to hear in our lifetimes? :(
Now Lance, we all know that's a rhetorical question,but the answer is No Way. Not if I lived another 150 years.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:07 am

barney wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:57 am
Lance wrote:
Will we all have time in our lives to hear all the music we might like to hear in our lifetimes? :(
Now Lance, we all know that's a rhetorical question,but the answer is No Way. Not if I lived another 150 years.
Certainly so, Barney! :wink:

I should mention here that the entire Michael Haydn Brilliant Classics Box I pictured above is available for streaming in the USA on Amazon, so enjoy!

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:55 pm

Yes, I know it's a rhetorical question, but somehow feel the need to pose it! Maybe we will just buy less and enjoy what we have? I doubt it. Your "no way" kind of says it all. That really brightens my day.

Incidentally, Barney, I'm reading about bad flooding in Australia. Has any of this affected you? Hoping you are all staying well above water. What strange times in which we love ... strange world-wide.
barney wrote:
Lance wrote:
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

barney

Post by barney » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:43 pm

Lance wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:55 pm
Yes, I know it's a rhetorical question, but somehow feel the need to pose it! Maybe we will just buy less and enjoy what we have? I doubt it. Your "no way" kind of says it all. That really brightens my day.

Incidentally, Barney, I'm reading about bad flooding in Australia. Has any of this affected you? Hoping you are all staying well above water. What strange times in which we love ... strange world-wide.
barney wrote:
Lance wrote:
Hi Lance. We're fine in Melbourne, thanks for asking. It's mostly on the NSW coast. Belle lives in one of the flooded areas. I started a thread in the Corner Pub, but she hasn't answered. So I hope that doesn't indicate a problem.