Spanish Piano Concertos

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Spanish Piano Concertos

Post by Lance » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:44 am

The Hanssler label has brought forth some really interesting recordings and artists over the years. One of my newest acquisitions is entitled "Spanish Piano Concertos" [20016, 59:14, DDD]. All works on the disc are world premiere recordings by Manuel Narro (1727-1776), Mariana Martinez (1744-1812), and José Palomino (1755-1810). So, we come out of the Baroque period into the Classical era. On this recording, Melani Mestre is both the pianist and conductor of the Ibérica Philharmonia Orchestra. This is ideal, thought-provoking music that gives the brain a sometimes needed rest from the brilliance of the Romantic period. Melani Mestre provides a beautiful tone and line to the music from her piano and the orchestra provides exceptional accompaniment. There is a bonus on this disc, too, José Palomino's Violin Concerto in G Major with Natalia Borysiuk, violinist, with the same forces mentioned above. Recording quality is first-rate having been recorded in November 2016 but just issued in 2021. All the concertos are reconstructed and revised/edited by Melani Mestre. I am also happy he used a present-day piano instead of an historical instrument in the piano concertos. It gives added depth to the music in my opinion. Highly recommended if you are looking for something new and unknown. •
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: Spanish Piano Concertos

Post by maestrob » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:08 am

As I always do with your recommendations, Lance, I will gladly check this one out.