An excellent all-Brahms 10-CD set from Erato

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

An excellent all-Brahms 10-CD set from Erato

Post by Lance » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:06 am

Erato has issued a 10-CD set [58692] of Johannes Brahms' piano works that were recorded between 2003 and 2009, all featuring Cincinnati-born Nicholas Angelich (born 1970). Since those recording days, Angelich's career has grown exponentially, and for the price, this is an extraordinary set of works we all have aplenty by other performing artists. Still, worth looking into and all in a very well-presented boxed set with booklet.

Here we have the two piano concertos with the Frankfurt Radio Orchestra led by Paavo Jarvi, the Paganini Variations, four Ballades, the Piano Pieces, Op. 78, 117, 118 and 119; Violin Sonatas and FAE Sonata with Renaud Capucon, the Piano Trios 1, 2 and 3 w/Renaud and Gautier Capucon, the Piano Quartets 1, 2 and 3 with Renaud, Gautier and Gérard Capucon and nine Hungarian Dances for Piano Four-Hands with Frank Braley.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: An excellent all-Brahms 10-CD set from Erato

Post by maestrob » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:32 am

That's a wonderful box, Lance, which I bought a couple of years ago, and, now that I've checked, forgot to review here, although I did post about it in a thread started by Rach3 last November. I'm a great admirer of his approach to Brahms's last three cycles of miniatures for solo piano, a sort of farewell gift to pianists and listeners everywhere, the Opp. 116, 117, 118, & 119. The Piano Quartets with the Capucon brothers are especially fine as well, but everything in the box is quite good, although Angelich doesn't quite have the force and presence of Richter or Rubinstein in the Concertos. This is indeed a great buy: I've given it already as a gift. Happily, the entire 10 CD box is available for streaming on amazon as I write.

I'm delighted that we both admire Nicholas Angelich.