Bernstein/Haydn box.

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

david johnson

Bernstein/Haydn box.

Post by david johnson » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:09 am

I purchased this a few years ago. I am re-enjoying it :) These recordings are probably in some larger boxes, but this is a 12cd box collection of: Haydn's London Symphonies, Paris Symphonies. 4 Masses. and Die Schopfung, all with Bernstein/NYPO on Sony. Do any of you also have this?

maestrob

Re: Bernstein/Haydn box.

Post by maestrob » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:06 am

david johnson wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:09 am
I purchased this a few years ago. I am re-enjoying it :) These recordings are probably in some larger boxes, but this is a 12cd box collection of: Haydn's London Symphonies, Paris Symphonies. 4 Masses. and Die Schopfung, all with Bernstein/NYPO on Sony. Do any of you also have this?
Good morning, David.

I'm sure I have Bernstein's Haydn in the various LP-sized boxes that were issued recently. I've got both the Symphony Box and the Choral Music box, as well as the Concertos Box. so it's got to be in there somewhere. I enjoy his many recordings made here in NY very much, including his Haydn. Adam Fischer has also recorded a complete set of Haydn's Symphonies, and I play through them every year. Haydn's music is wonderfully inventive, IMHO. Love his piano sonatas and concertos as well.

Antal Dorati was a great champion of Haydn's music, and was the first to record not only his symphonies, but his operas as well for Phillips. My first conducting coach, who encouraged me to study at Juilliard, read through all Haydn's quartets at the piano when he was a teenager.

Bernstein issued twice as many recordings in stereo as did Ormandy, another amazingly prolific conductor, but Ormandy's career started earlier, so when the Ormandy box of his unreleased mono CDs arrives next month, their total number of CDs in my library will be about equal.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:51 pm

Yes, the Bernstein/Haydn box was a must-have for me [Sony 48045, 12 CDs] when initially released, and I enjoyed it very much. The symphonies were all to appear again in the Bernstein/Symphony Edition [Sony 68365, 60 CDs] while the Masses and The Creation appeared on [Sony 86048, 57 CDs]. Naturally, with all of that, I had to have the Bernstein/Concerto Edition [Sony 01330, 80 CDs] and Bernstein Composer Edition [Sony 34541, 25 CDs]. To top that all off, there was the NYP 175th Anniversary Edition [Sony 33636, 54 CDs]. So, as you would expect, lots of duplication. Bernstein also conducted some Haydn for [DGG 474 919, 4 CDs], and while I have many of his DGG, EMI, and RCA discs, I never opted to get any "complete" sets issued of Bernstein on the Yellow label. I always felt Bernstein's best work was with the NYP, and at this point, I am "Bernsteined out" with regard to his recordings. There is just soooo much! Glad to have it all. Bernstein's name will go down in history as one of the - if not the foremost - conductor of the NYP.

Just as an afterthought for Bernstein fanatics, RCA issued his earliest recordings in four CD volumes 61581, 61650, 62568, and 68101. I don't know if any others came after those four.

This is all much more than you needed to know for the Bernstein/Haydn thread. But sometimes we just get wound up!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:53 pm

Here is something I wrote about this box, back in 2012.
http://www.classicalmusicguide.com/view ... dn#p410615
I do remember the box was somewhat uneven.

On the basis of that post, I was able to find my impressions of that box noted in my journal.
First few CDs - no comment.
Symphony 100 - excellent
Symphony 102 - good
Symphony 104 - not good.
Symphony 101 - magnificent.
Symphony 103 - also magnificent.
Paukenmesse - no comment made, but probably didn't care for.