Antonio Soler outstanding disc (on pianos).

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Antonio Soler outstanding disc (on pianos).

Post by Lance » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:21 pm

Antonio Soler [1729-1783, Spanish composer]
I well remember the American Decca recordings of Frederick Marvin, a professor of piano at Syracuse University, and an artist I met a long time ago. Loved those discs. But I happened on what I find to be amazing performances of a group of Soler's sonatas (6 of them), along with an incredible performance of the Fandango plus two concertos for two pianos (no orchestral accompaniment). This appears on a low-priced ARTS CD from Germany [47552, 63:06, DDD]. The artists are Begona Uriarte and Karl-Hermann Mrongovius. The two artists perform the two concertos, Uriarte performs the six sonatas, and Mrongovius performs the Fandango, executed stunningly so that my wife put her head down the door and asked me to find the music for her! The two concertos, which are wonderfully surprising, and the Fandango is worth the price of the disc and I heartily recommend it. These two artists have worked together and have produced a number of discs, including music by Mendelssohn, Brahms, Schumann and others. First-class, stunning pianos, and excellent acoustics. This guy, Padre Antonio Soler, was a top-notch composer and deserves to be far better known. Fortunately, he is well represented on discs these days ... even his complete keyboard sonatas. I can't tell you much I have enjoyed this disc; totally uplifting! •
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: Antonio Soler outstanding disc (on pianos).

Post by maestrob » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:59 am

Lance wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:21 pm
Antonio Soler [1729-1783, Spanish composer]
I well remember the American Decca recordings of Frederick Marvin, a professor of piano at Syracuse University, and an artist I met a long time ago. Loved those discs. But I happened on what I find to be amazing performances of a group of Soler's sonatas (6 of them), along with an incredible performance of the Fandango plus two concertos for two pianos (no orchestral accompaniment). This appears on a low-priced ARTS CD from Germany [47552, 63:06, DDD]. The artists are Begona Uriarte and Karl-Hermann Mrongovius. The two artists perform the two concertos, Uriarte performs the six sonatas, and Mrongovius performs the Fandango, executed stunningly so that my wife put her head down the door and asked me to find the music for her! The two concertos, which are wonderfully surprising, and the Fandango is worth the price of the disc and I heartily recommend it. These two artists have worked together and have produced a number of discs, including music by Mendelssohn, Brahms, Schumann and others. First-class, stunning pianos, and excellent acoustics. This guy, Padre Antonio Soler, was a top-notch composer and deserves to be far better known. Fortunately, he is well represented on discs these days ... even his complete keyboard sonatas. I can't tell you much I have enjoyed this disc; totally uplifting! •
Sounds wonderful, Lance, but the only disc by those two artists that I could find on amazon was this one of works by Richard Strauss, which I'll be hearing today:

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:50 pm

My copy came from Presto ... $9/USA. I have a few of this duo's recordings, Mendelssohn concertos for two pianos and four-hand/two piano music. They are a great duo who don't seem to be known as well as they should be. I don't have any of their Strauss CDs - yet. The Soler disc, however, is well worthing seeking. That Fandango still looms large in my brain's ears!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

barney

Post by barney » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:31 pm

My order has gone in to Presto, and I trust it will soon be winging its way across the globe.
Thanks Lance.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:49 am

Wonderful, Barney. You shan't be disappointed!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

barney

Post by barney » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:03 am

I do enjoy the rather limited Soler I know already. I've got about 20 works, I think.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:19 am

Lance wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:50 pm
My copy came from Presto ... $9/USA. I have a few of this duo's recordings, Mendelssohn concertos for two pianos and four-hand/two piano music. They are a great duo who don't seem to be known as well as they should be. I don't have any of their Strauss CDs - yet. The Soler disc, however, is well worthing seeking. That Fandango still looms large in my brain's ears!
That CD is now in my Presto basket as well, Lance! :wink:

I have to say that the Strauss "melodrama" CD turned out to be a disappointment, as the monologue was in German, a language I don't speak. Oh well!