My First Ariane et Barbe-Bleue by Paul Dukas

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:09 pm

It was free with Arte and had English captions-I enjoyed much of it-a big cast and music I liked much better that Bartok's Bluebeard's Castle-the production held my attention throughout-of course I have no productions to compare it with. The cast acted very well and I must say the women climbing up on those tables was a site to behold! Regards, Len

The Lyon website describes it this way:

"Modern and flying the flag for liberty, Ariane et Barbe-Bleue by Paul Dukas turns Perrault's story into a true hymn to women’s liberation and discovering the truth. Terribly current.

Synopsis
What is Bluebeard, accused by the crowd of having killed his first five wives, hiding? From the moment she arrives at his gloomy castle, Ariane, his new wife, is determined to discover her husband's secret. She ends up freeing his first five wives but they prefer captivity to freedom. Ariane, however, decides to take hers.

More than feminist
A pupil at the Paris Conservatory, Dukas, a friend of Debussy and former music critic, was a gifted and atypical musician, perhaps best known for The Sorcerer's Apprentice (immortalized by Disney in the film Fantasia). It was in 1907 that Ariane et Barbe-Bleue, his only opera, was successfully staged at the Opéra Comique, based on a text by Maurice Maeterlinck, who was also the librettist for Debussy - denounced by some as a somewhat too visible influence and with whom Dukas shared a similar taste in orchestration. In fact, Dukas adapts one of Wagner’s techniques, the leitmotiv, which allows him to depict his characters in the music, using his own language. Rich in tone and colour, this is very effective when it comes to making the listener feel the atmosphere in Bluebeard’s castle. Long forgotten, the work strikes a very contemporary chord: composed principally for women's roles, it is more than simply feminist, posing the question of freedom as a universal concept.

A co-production with the Teatro Real of Madrid "

barney

Re: My First Ariane et Barbe-Bleue by Paul Dukas

Post by barney » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:44 pm

Never heard of this opera, Len. Shame on me!

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:57 pm

I first thought you were talking of a barbecue? :roll:
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:41 am

Was it this one, Len?

I've heard of it of course, but never spent time with the work.

I have enjoyed his Symphony in C and the ballet La Peri, if you'd like to give those a hearing as well. About an hour's worth of music on the same level as Magnard or Chausson, but rarely heard.

John Ogdon has recorded Dukas' Piano Sonata, for those interested, although it's hard to find a copy now.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:44 am

Lance wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:57 pm
I first thought you were talking of a barbecue? :roll:
Lance now I'm getting hungry-between mentioning barbecue and Steve's mention of the Iowa State Fair I'm starting to salivate! Regards, Len :lol:

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:48 am

maestrob wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:41 am

Was it this one, Len?
Brian no-it was this one.
https://www.arte.tv/en/arte-concert/mos ... nres=opera

You can see the others they're offering for free but while I love some of their operas and even with Kaufmann in them I'm concerned about the updating? Regards, Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:51 am

lennygoran wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:48 am
maestrob wrote:

Was it this one, Len?

You can see the others they're offering for free but while I love some of their operas and even with Kaufmann in them I'm concerned about the updating? Regards, Len
Interesting but limited offering. Is that a free website, or do I have to sign up in some way?

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:05 am

maestrob wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:51 am

Interesting but limited offering. Is that a free website, or do I have to sign up in some way?
Brian I was surprised-it seemed to be completely free for me-I don't think I had to create any sort of account. Regards, Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:59 am

lennygoran wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:05 am
maestrob wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:51 am

Brian I was surprised-it seemed to be completely free for me-I don't think I had to create any sort of account. Regards, Len
OK, I just gave them my email address. didn't see anything else by anyone I recognized, but that was just with a cursory look. I'll certainly give the Dukas a try though before it disappears. Thanks!

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:03 am

maestrob wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:59 am
didn't see anything else by anyone I recognized, but that was just with a cursory look. I'll certainly give the Dukas a try though before it disappears. Thanks!
Brian I'm surprised this page didn't come up? Regards, Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:06 am

lennygoran wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:03 am
maestrob wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:59 am
didn't see anything else by anyone I recognized, but that was just with a cursory look. I'll certainly give the Dukas a try though before it disappears. Thanks!
Brian I'm surprised this page didn't come up? Regards, Len

Sure it did: I just have time for 1 opera each week on the computer, as I keep up with other genres as well. We also watch a DVD during the week on my stereo and then listen to a historical CD opera on the weekend just as a reminder of how much we used to enjoy the MET broadcasts on WQXR. No commercials with CDs, of course! :lol:

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:07 pm

maestrob wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:06 am
Sure it did:...No commercials with CDs, of course! :lol:
Brian I'm confused-you said:"didn't see anything else by anyone I recognized"

But for certain you recognize the operas and people involved on the operas shown on that page and btw the opera had no commercial interruptions. Regards, Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:31 pm

lennygoran wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:07 pm
maestrob wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:06 am
Sure it did:...No commercials with CDs, of course! :lol:
Brian I'm confused-you said:"didn't see anything else by anyone I recognized"

But for certain you recognize the operas and people involved on the operas shown on that page and btw the opera had no commercial interruptions. Regards, Len
I meant the singers & conductors, of course! The works I recognized, but the performers were not at a level that I usually am interested in hearing. The only conductor I notice now that I've checked back would be Gardner: he's good as a symphonic conductor, but I don't know his work in opera at all.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:02 pm

maestrob wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:31 pm

I meant the singers
Brian Kaufmann-what about him? Regards, Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:18 am

lennygoran wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:02 pm
maestrob wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:31 pm

I meant the singers
Brian Kaufmann-what about him? Regards, Len
Not a big fan at all. I know that will surprise many here, but I have major problems with how he uses his astonishing repertoire of colors and dynamic range, in particular in French mainstream repertoire (Werther, Faust, Carmen (i.e. Don Jose) etc.), but also in Verdi as well. It's as if he thinks he can reinvent singing.

Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you should. I'll try to explain what I mean, since examples on youtube are few and far between. Better to search Spotify.

1) He sings so softly that you can barely hear him in the theater at crucial moments. His "La fleur que tu m'avais jetee..." from Carmen is a prime example of this. He just croons his way through almost the whole thing, rising to full volume at appropriate moments it's true, but the aria becomes a framework to show off his technical abilities, rather than a dramatic declaration of how he fell in love with Carmen.

2) When he sings high notes in Verdi, many times he takes all the ping out of his voice and, while he can maintain pitch OK, again he sings so softly that the music loses all its drama: he's just showing off that he can do things that other singers cannot do. His album of Verdi (made with a pliant no-name conductor, Pier Giorgio Morandi (WHO??)) arias is a prime example of this unfortunate practice. I can't listen to it.

3) His middle and low notes are entirely too baritonal for either Faust or Werther, both roles that he's famous for. My models there would include Nicolai Gedda, or Tito Schipa, not to mention Villazon as examples.

Kaufmann is at his best in lieder, as was Fischer-Dieskau, or in roles where he has to sing full voice to be heard, such as Siegmund, Otello or Tristan. His Das Lied von der Erde, where he sings all the songs, is a vocal tour-de-force and a first, yet without the pathos of having the contralto sing (as Mahler wanted) "Der Abschied," one wonders "Why was it done?" However, there is a magnificent CD of Strauss Songs that he recorded with Helmut Deutsch about 20 years ago that I play frequently. Here it is and, yes, it's on Spotify now:

Saying all this, I will now tell you my limitations. I have not yet heard his Otello, which may be good, and I have not heard his Puccini CD either. His DVD of Forza with Harteros really put me off because of the sets & costumes, and his singing was full of strange quirks that I did not take to but don't clearly remember now (I only saw it once.). Haven't heard his 2013 Verdi/Barenboim Requiem (also with Harteros), but I will soon as its on my agenda.

An apt image here is that of a dog walking on its hind legs. Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it SHOULD be done. Kaufmann has the looks, but not the self-discipline and common sense to go with it. He strikes me as a singer who can't say no (and who can blame him, honestly, for grabbing at such an extraordinary career!). If he had been more careful, as Richard Tucker was, he could have been just as famous and even more respected as an artist IMHO.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:42 am

maestrob wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:18 am
Werther, both roles that he's famous for.
Brian thanks for all this info-all I can say is we saw the Met Werther both live and HD and were completely overwhelmed by what we saw and heard-for us just superb-singers, production, everything about it. Regards, Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:09 am

lennygoran wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:42 am
maestrob wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:18 am
Werther, both roles that he's famous for.
Brian thanks for all this info-all I can say is we saw the Met Werther both live and HD and were completely overwhelmed by what we saw and heard-for us just superb-singers, production, everything about it. Regards, Len
Spoiler alert! :wink:

Not fond of his Werther because of his baritonal middle and low range. But I guess you got that already. Much prefer Villazon.

YMMV, of course, and I don't want to spoil your own experience, naturally. He looks wonderful on stage, of course, and he can act up a storm. I need more than that, though.

Singers today are cast according to their looks and how they will sound in the telecast, rather than on how they will project in the house. DelMonaco, Kurt Baum, Jon Vickers: who do we have today that can project like them? Certain voices need to blossom in the house, while on tape they can sound like breaking rocks! :lol: Birgit Nilsson was like that too.

Name one voice that sounds like those four today, and I'll send you a meal from Per Se on one of Jeff Bezos's new rockets right into your back yard! :wink: Times and tastes change, that's all.

IMHO neither Domingo nor Alagna had any business singing Samson, for example. Not compared to Vickers!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:47 am

This is for all opera lovers here....

Len, just for the sake of caressing your sense of sound, here is Tito Schipa singing "Il sogno" (Le reve") from Massenet's Manon, recorded in 1926. This is what great tenor singing is all about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_xldPHJAv4

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:39 pm

This set's resided in my collection for years--

https://www.discogs.com/Paul-Dukas-Kath ... er/1339674
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease, and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:26 am

maestrob wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:09 am
Much prefer Villazon...YMMV... Birgit Nilsson ...Name one voice that sounds like those four today, and I'll send you a meal from Per Se on one of Jeff Bezos's new rockets right into your back yard! 😉 Times and tastes change, that's all. IMHO neither Domingo nor Alagna had any business singing Samson, for example. Not compared to Vickers!
Brian never got to hear Villazon live-we were due to hear him with Netrebko in a Met Lucia-he was ill and we got Beczala instead-he was great-who needs Villazon anyway! Admit I didn't know YMMV-your mileage may vary. Funny you mention Domingo and Samson-we saw it with him live many years ago and it's on my list of operas to see again with the Met's On Demand. And now I claim my prize-just book the Perse for me-Bezos can only come here if he promises to gives us 2 hours of weeding in the garden-my winning claim mentions Domingo, Beczala and Netrebko!

Regards, Len [running into hiding as quickly as I can] :lol: :lol: :lol:

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:37 am

maestrob wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:47 am

Len, just for the sake of caressing your sense of sound, here is Tito Schipa singing "Il sogno" (Le reve") from Massenet's Manon, recorded in 1926. This is what great tenor singing is all about.
Brian thanks-lovely-wonder if he could produce that live on stage in an opera house? Regards, Len

PS-found this on wiki:
"Schipa made numerous recordings of arias and songs during his career, beginning in Italy in 1913. His recorded output included a famous 78-rpm set of Donizetti's Don Pasquale, made in 1932. This is still available on CD. He also recorded several tangos, some of which were composed by him in Spanish, mostly in Buenos Aires and New York. Thanks to his early Latin American tours, Schipa was a very popular tenor in Latin America.

Like his contemporary Richard Tauber, Tito Schipa was also a conductor, a tradition carried on today by Plácido Domingo. Although a few contemporary critics considered Schipa's voice to be small in size, restricted in range and slightly husky in timbre, he was still extremely popular with the public. Michael Scott (The Record of Singing: 1978), while admiring Schipa's charm and taste, points out that it is not correct to say that Schipa was a master of bel canto; indeed Scott and others regard Schipa's recording of "Il mio tesoro" from Mozart's Don Giovanni as one of the worst ever made, with sloppy runs and sketchy ornamentation. Yet it has often been noted that this is probably the worst recording Schipa ever made; and surviving fragments from a live New Orleans performance of the opera in 1935 show him in superb form. "

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:22 am

lennygoran wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:26 am
maestrob wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:09 am
Much prefer Villazon...YMMV... Birgit Nilsson ...Name one voice that sounds like those four today, and I'll send you a meal from Per Se on one of Jeff Bezos's new rockets right into your back yard! 😉 Times and tastes change, that's all. IMHO neither Domingo nor Alagna had any business singing Samson, for example. Not compared to Vickers!
Brian never got to hear Villazon live-we were due to hear him with Netrebko in a Met Lucia-he was ill and we got Beczala instead-he was great-who needs Villazon anyway! Admit I didn't know YMMV-your mileage may vary. Funny you mention Domingo and Samson-we saw it with him live many years ago and it's on my list of operas to see again with the Met's On Demand. And now I claim my prize-just book the Perse for me-Bezos can only come here if he promises to gives us 2 hours of weeding in the garden-my winning claim mentions Domingo, Beczala and Netrebko!

Regards, Len [running into hiding as quickly as I can] :lol: :lol: :lol:
Done! :wink: :lol: As a friend, I will give you credit for having the hutzpah to even try to answer as you flee!

The thing is, though, Len, the point I was making is that none of the voices you bring up have anywhere near the sheer POWER of the three tenors that I mentioned: DelMonaco, Baum, or Vickers, not to forget about Birgit Nilsson.

Netrebko had much trouble with Aida, at least in the broadcast I recorded: it's frightfully embarrassing. Not her fault: she just doesn't have the voice for the role yet. Maybe she will in future, but Verdi can be tricky even for great singers, as we both know. My point was, though, about size. Netrebko just doesn't have the sheer penetrating power of Nilsson: she could never THINK about singing Brunnhilde, for example. She is great, it's just just not in her fach.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:06 pm

maestrob wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:22 am
the sheer penetrating power of Nilsson: she could never THINK about singing Brunnhilde, for example. She is great, it's just just not in her fach.
Brian I don't think I ever heard her live-wonder if On Demand has any full video operas with her?

Nope only audios-not a single video. Regards, Len :(

barney

Post by barney » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:02 pm

Brian, very interested in your claim that Kaufmann is better in lieder. Not sure I agree with that, though I most definitely do about Fischer-Dieskau. But DFD recorded a vast number of lieder, and is in the top half dozen male lieder singers of the past century, whereas I'm aware of relatively little by JK. You are right about the baritonal quality, but that can help - I submit - for example in Wagner. I heard him do a fine Parsifal live in Sydney a few years ago.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:23 am

barney wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:02 pm
Brian, very interested in your claim that Kaufmann is better in lieder. Not sure I agree with that, though I most definitely do about Fischer-Dieskau. But DFD recorded a vast number of lieder, and is in the top half dozen male lieder singers of the past century, whereas I'm aware of relatively little by JK. You are right about the baritonal quality, but that can help - I submit - for example in Wagner. I heard him do a fine Parsifal live in Sydney a few years ago.
Precisely my point, Barney, about the baritonal quality helping in Wagner. It adds stability and longevity to the voice, as well as stamina, and I think he's a great Wagner singer, frankly. I do wish you could hear the Richard Strauss album I keep posting the cover of (forgive my early morning syntax! :oops:) but here it is again. Each track is exquisite in its own way. Wish he'd do Debussy and more Mahler. He's got the expressive range to be superbly effective, IMHO.

Also, he's got this new CD from last year that is quite moving, at least to me, also with Helmut Deutsch:

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:37 am

lennygoran wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:06 pm
maestrob wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:22 am
the sheer penetrating power of Nilsson: she could never THINK about singing Brunnhilde, for example. She is great, it's just just not in her fach.
Brian I don't think I ever heard her live-wonder if On Demand has any full video operas with her?

Nope only audios-not a single video. Regards, Len :(
The only video I have in my library with Nilsson is a Tristan & Isolde with Vickers, led by Karl Bohm. It's quite badly recorded, but both protagonists are stunning in their portrayals. There are some copies on Amazon for $4.00, but I must caution you & our readers about the sound quality. It's an electrifying performance, though!

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:00 am

maestrob wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:37 am

The only video I have in my library with Nilsson is a Tristan & Isolde with Vickers, led by Karl Bohm. It's quite badly recorded, but both protagonists are stunning in their portrayals.
Brian thanks-there's stuff out there on youtube like this! Regards, Len

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjAOH1fV-xY

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:35 am

lennygoran wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:00 am
maestrob wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:37 am

The only video I have in my library with Nilsson is a Tristan & Isolde with Vickers, led by Karl Bohm. It's quite badly recorded, but both protagonists are stunning in their portrayals.
Brian thanks-there's stuff out there on youtube like this! Regards, Len

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjAOH1fV-xY
Just so. That's the one I have, I think. I'll check out the youtube version you just posted to see if they've managed to improve the sound since my hard copy was issued. Tuesday is my opera day, so hang on! :wink:

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:41 am

maestrob wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:35 am
Just so. That's the one I have, I think. I'll check out the youtube version you just posted to see if they've managed to improve the sound since my hard copy was issued. Tuesday is my opera day, so hang on! 😉
Brian thanks-will hang on-I went right to 1hr5minutes where they drink-an impressive couple! Regards, Len :D

THEHORN

Post by THEHORN » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:16 am

" Ariane & Barbe Bleue " is one of the unsung masterpieces of French opera . It's barely held on on to the fringes of the operatic repertoire for over a century but is revived occasionally . Before its lamentable demise several years ago, the New York city opera did a production of it , but the performances and the production were met with a rather lukewarm reception by the New York music critics . I don't recall the names of the cast or conductor .
The Met did it over a century ago and should definitely revive it , and I think Emmanuel Guillaume, one of today's finest conductors of French opera would be an excellent choice to conduct .
I haven't seen it on the internet or live but know it from the recordings with the late Armin Jordan conducting and the more recent one led by Leon Botstein .
I actually prefer Ariane to Debussy's more familiar Pelleas & Melisande . It's rather like Pelleas with guts !

barney

Post by barney » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:33 pm

THEHORN wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:16 am
" Ariane & Barbe Bleue " is one of the unsung masterpieces of French opera . It's barely held on on to the fringes of the operatic repertoire for over a century but is revived occasionally . Before its lamentable demise several years ago, the New York city opera did a production of it , but the performances and the production were met with a rather lukewarm reception by the New York music critics . I don't recall the names of the cast or conductor .
The Met did it over a century ago and should definitely revive it , and I think Emmanuel Guillaume, one of today's finest conductors of French opera would be an excellent choice to conduct .
I haven't seen it on the internet or live but know it from the recordings with the late Armin Jordan conducting and the more recent one led by Leon Botstein .
I actually prefer Ariane to Debussy's more familiar Pelleas & Melisande . It's rather like Pelleas with guts !
An interesting recommendation. I've only seen the Debussy once, but I enjoyed it far more than I expected.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:13 am

Wallingford wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:39 pm
This set's resided in my collection for years--

https://www.discogs.com/Paul-Dukas-Kath ... er/1339674
Thanks, Wallingford. I'm planning on hearing this on Amazon this afternoon. :D

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:10 pm

lennygoran wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:48 am
maestrob wrote:

Was it this one, Len?

OK Len, as promised, I did give this one a try. The voices were all really good: the scene with Bluebeard's ex-wives was really lovely. I can understand why this is not often produced: the piece tends to drag here and there and lacks a certain level of invention that would keep it interesting, but still, it's worthy of attention. I enjoy Dukas's Symphony every once in a while and some other works as well. I plan on hearing Armin Jordan's recording (recommended by Wallingford above) at some future date as well, and may acquire a copy of that one. My only objection to this production was that it was so dark that, while that lighting effect may have worked in the theater, it didn't come across well in the video, even on full screen.

All that said, I'm still partial to Bartok's version, of which I own three: Dorati's pioneering Mercury CD, Boulez's excellent Columbia with Tatiana Troyanos, & a BBC performance that's quite good in spite of the no name protagonists.

Nevertheless, I'm glad I spent time with this production, and will return to this website as they remind me to do so with emails of new productions. Good sound, by the way: no interruptions at all.

Thanks, Len! :D

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:44 pm

Brian thanks for your report-we're down here in the Wayne Pa and Wilmington Delaware area-why-gardens of course! :lol:

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:48 am

Wow, Len, Wayne is where I grew up! Went to Villanova! It's a lovely area.

Beautiful pictures, thanks!

Enjoy! :D

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:36 pm

maestrob wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:48 am
Wow, Len, Wayne is where I grew up! Went to Villanova! It's a lovely area.

Brian we get to Chanticleer about once a year and often ride around the country roads-it's so beautiful-we took a new unknown road for us a few days ago as we were going to the famous Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square-it took about 40 minutes--it was not a major highway but took us through some lovely scenery-much nicer than using rte 1 or I95! Regards, Len