Enrique Jorda, conductor

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Enrique Jorda, conductor

Post by Lance » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:20 pm

Most of us know the name of conductor Enrique Jordá, a Spanish-American conductor who lived between 1911 and 1996. I say "remember," especially if you were a fan of pianist Artur Rubinstein who made several recordings with this conductor. But it was more than Rubinstein with whom he worked. There were collaborative recordings with Clifford Curzon, Alexander Brailowsky, Lily Kraus, Gaspar Cassado, Gary Graffman, and Segovia.

But now, Decca Eloquence has come forth with a two-CD set [484 0403, 142:45, ADD] giving us orchestral music by Dukas, Glinka, Chabrier, Falla, Granados, Turina, Albéniz and Tchaikovsky, all recorded between 1950 and 1951 all, of course, mono inscriptions. New to these CDs is Dvorak's New World Symphony of London, a first release on the label. The orchestra in other tracks is the Orchestra of Conservatory Concerts-Paris. Thrown in for good measure is the 1951 recording of Falla's Nights in the Gardens of Spain with pianist Clifford Curzon, the latter of which has been released a number of times.

Jordá led a number of orchestras, one of which was the San Francisco Symphony (1953-1964) which, in the eyes of George Szell, was so poor and undisciplined that Szell refused to conduct the second week of a guest contract in 1962. John Culshaw of Decca noted: "Jordá in those [early] days was showing more than considerable promise ..." [there was only one problem] "he talked endlessly, worse still, his accent was all but incomprehensible.' And more: "Over the years to come, Jordá quite literally talked himself out of a succession of posts, some of which were major steps on the ladder to the international career he so wanted; and nobody could stop him, or improve his pronunciation."

So, in the end, Jordá is gone and what remains is the few recordings he left to posterity. Given what we know of Stokowski, Furtwangler, Toscanini, Bernstein, and a whole raft of conductors whose names remain famous to this day, Jordá's contribution will be of interest to collectors of conductors, great, or perhaps not so great in comparison to others. On the other hand, Jordá must have had something on the ball to work with so many really fine collaborators. Yes/No? :twisted:
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

david johnson

Re: Enrique Jorda, conductor

Post by david johnson » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:12 am

I recall when a Dvorak 9 LP was available. I have never heard it, though.

david johnson

Post by david johnson » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:59 am

I just gave that Dvorak a listen on YouTube - Jorda/New London Symphony on Richmond (budget London). There were a few rough moments, but there were also some balances that were nice. I noticed two rhythmic 'differences' that are not what I usually hear.

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:50 am

I'd love to reinstate the Dvorak into my library. I had the Richmond reissue--two copies. It was one of the opportunities for Decca to flaunt its 'ffrr' sound. One perturbing goof in one of the pressings is the end of the slow movement. After those ethereal high D-flat chords in the violins, there's a pause and then two equally heavenly chords in the double basses. The disc cutter makes the move to go into the end groove, during the pause!

I have nothing but sympathy for Jorda's art, and have been an ardent collector of his stuff. A quarter century ago, when I'd infrequently patronize the collector's underground, I got a complete "Standard Hour" program from '54--one of the few surviving on tape not disc--of what must've been Jorda's first official concert with the SFS: it had the two opening movements of Beethoven's First (some nice counterpoint never revealed by most conductors), as accompanist to a prominent violinist whose name escapes me (one of Jorda's weak suits was accompanying--he never knew how to sublimate his contribution), and the final two movements of Borodin's Second, the gem of the set. Flashy, splashy color washes abound--I'd be willing to wager any sum of money that the first two movements were this grand too. A superlative complete performance tragically lost to the world....as are Jorda's subsequent early San Fran programs for the "Standard Hour". From most accounts he'd made a hell of a showing.
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease, and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:23 pm

Spinning a bunch of my Sorcerer's Apprentice recordings nowadays, it popped into my mind to respin Enrique Jorda's first record of it, Decca ffrr, mid-40s. It manages to pip the remake he did, just rereleased on that Decca 2CD set.

This first recording was considered formidable competition against other 78-era discs. Ablaze with color and excitement every step of the way, the sound has a slightly overloaded quality to it....no great matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTorX7fvASE
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease, and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham