Pianist Hans Barth

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Wallingford

Pianist Hans Barth

Post by Wallingford » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:00 pm

pianist HANS BARTH (1897-1956)

If you have a tolerance for 78s, surface noise & all.....

I first came across this pianist from ages back, while poking through the book & record archive while working in the A/V department at the University of Oregon 30 years ago. Was only able to find one disc in all that time,. But now I can really know what a top-notch player he really was:

https://archive.org/search.php?query=hans+barth+78

I only stumbled upon this site last March.
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease, and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

maestrob

Re: Pianist Hans Barth

Post by maestrob » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:09 am

A fascinating website, Wallingford, which I will explore more extensively later. I've bookmarked it in my browser.

Many thanks!

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:35 pm

Many thanks. I heard the Dauquin, MacDowell, Mozart, and Sinding. Very impressive ,especially if the tempi are accurate. If I recall, Arthur Rubinstein studied with Barth in Berlin ca. 1900-1905.

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:39 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:35 pm
Many thanks. I heard the Dauquin, MacDowell, Mozart, and Sinding. Very impressive ,especially if the tempi are accurate. If I recall, Arthur Rubinstein studied with Barth in Berlin ca. 1900-1905.
I thought the same thing as you about Rubinstein but when I checked it was Karl Heinrich Barth who was AR's teacher. I wonder if they are related. I tried to check but couldn't find a detailed biography.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:00 pm

Thanks for the correction.

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:26 am

Rach3 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:00 pm
It wasn't meant to be a correction and I apologise if it came across the wrong way.

I'm impressed that you remembered the name of one of Rubinstein's teachers. However, based on what I've seen you post you are a true pianophile and therefore suppose it's not surprising that you've remembered this. I've read the info from the AR autobiography and Barth was mentioned many times. While Rubinstein didn't like working with him he does give him credit for developing his technique. The descriptions in the autobio paint Barth as a bit of a martinet but then again you look at his pupils. They include Neuhaus and Kempff so he must have had something. Just look at the legacy that Neuhaus passed on.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:56 am

Holden Fourth wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:26 am
Rach3 wrote:
It wasn't meant to be a correction and I apologise if it came across the wrong way.

I'm impressed that you remembered the name of one of Rubinstein's teachers. However, based on what I've seen you post you are a true pianophile and therefore suppose it's not surprising that you've remembered this. I've read the info from the AR autobiography and Barth was mentioned many times. While Rubinstein didn't like working with him he does give him credit for developing his technique. The descriptions in the autobio paint Barth as a bit of a martinet but then again you look at his pupils. They include Neuhaus and Kempff so he must have had something. Just look at the legacy that Neuhaus passed on.
Kempff also passed on a legacy to Eric Heidsieck, who recorded with his wife Tania, and John Lill, the two that I can remember at the moment.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:18 am

Holden Fourth wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:26 am
Rach3 wrote:

No apology necessary, I much appreciated you pointing out my error.I also appreciate your advice Prof. Barth taught Neuhaus and Kempff, facts I did not know. He may also have taught Leo Sirota.