Claudio Abbado Conducts Mahler's Fifth Symphony in Lucerne

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Claudio Abbado Conducts Mahler's Fifth Symphony in Lucerne

Post by maestrob » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:12 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOvXhyldUko

This could be his best performance of Mahler V.

Enjoy!

Heck148

Re: Claudio Abbado Conducts Mahler's Fifth Symphony in Lucerne

Post by Heck148 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:46 am

Abbado's Chicago Mahler 5 is stellar, one of the very best - up there with the Solti versions...
I heard him conduct LondonSO live in Boston Symphony Hall years ago - it was excellent....CA has this piece down very well...

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:43 pm

Heck148 wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:46 am
Abbado's Chicago Mahler 5 is stellar, one of the very best - up there with the Solti versions...
I heard him conduct LondonSO live in Boston Symphony Hall years ago - it was excellent....CA has this piece down very well...
I find Abbado's Lucerne cycle has even more depth than his earlier recordings in Chicago. He grew so much as a musician during his career. His Chicago recordings sound almost too polite to my ears, even though his shaping of phrases and tempo choices are right up there with Solti's.

Remember, he had Sabine Meyer and her coterie in the hand-picked Lucerne Orchestra, along with many others that had worked with Abbado extensively in other orchestras, so with his long and deep experience in Mahler, the attention to detail is quite extraordinary in this performance.

Heck148

Post by Heck148 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:32 pm

maestrob wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:43 pm
Heck148 wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:46 am
I find Abbado's Lucerne cycle has even more depth than his earlier recordings in Chicago. He grew so much as a musician during his career. His Chicago recordings sound almost too polite to my ears, even though his shaping of phrases and tempo choices are right up there with Solti's.

Remember, he had Sabine Meyer and her coterie in the hand-picked Lucerne Orchestra, along with many others that had worked with Abbado extensively in other orchestras, so with his long and deep experience in Mahler, the attention to detail is quite extraordinary in this performance.
Fot me Mahler 5v requires absolutely top level solo trumpet and horn..Chicago is really tough to match in those positions...those European orchestras that use rotary valve trumpets just don't make it for me...not enough brilliance