Enrique Batiz Conducts Chavez: Sinfonia de Antigona

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Modernistfan

Re: Enrique Batiz Conducts Chavez: Sinfonia de Antigona

Post by Modernistfan » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:35 am

There is a very good, dirt-cheap Vox Box set of all of the Chavez symphonies conducted by the much-missed Eduardo Mata with the London Symphony Orchestra (2 CDs).

Seán

Post by Seán » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:45 am

This set is currently sitting in my JPC.de basket, it is available for €4.99 and I do like all of the excerpts that I have listened to so far. I am going to buy it.

Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:27 pm

Seán wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:45 am
This set is currently sitting in my JPC.de basket, it is available for €4.99 and I do like all of the excerpts that I have listened to so far. I am going to buy it.

That's the one, Sean! Grab it while you can! :D

I can also recommend the 8CD box set conducted by Enrique Batiz, "Musica Mexicana." Spotify has it so you can preview the repertoire if you like, but it's reasonably priced and all-digital.

Modernistfan

Post by Modernistfan » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:09 pm

Unfortunately, at least in the United States, music by Latin-American composers has largely been pushed to the sidelines because of the desire to get more exposure for music by Black composers. Even more unfortunately, the "exposure for music by Black composers" largely means William Grant Still, Florence Price, the Mozart-era Joseph Boulogne, the early twentieth-century British composer Samuel Coleridge-Taylor, Scott Joplin, and a few scattered works by other composers, such as William L. Dawson's "Negro Folk Symphony," ignoring more interesting recent composers (such as the Afro-Cuban Pulitzer Prize winner Tania León). Even in Los Angeles, with its huge Mexican-American population, it has become extremely rare to hear works by Carlos Chávez or Silvestre Revueltas.

Seán

Post by Seán » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:00 am

I have ordered the Vox Box 2 CD set of all of the Chavez symphonies with Eduardo Mata conducting the London Symphony Orchestra
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:27 am

Seán wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:00 am
I have ordered the Vox Box 2 CD set of all of the Chavez symphonies with Eduardo Mata conducting the London Symphony Orchestra
Congratulations, Sean. You have many hours of excellent listening ahead!